Lynwood is a city in Los Angeles County, California. Take a look below for 10 obscure and interesting facts about Lynwood, California, United States.
1. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 69,772, down from 69,845 at the 2000 census.
2. Lynwood is located near South Gate and Compton in the central portion of the Los Angeles Basin. Incorporated in 1921, the city is named for Lynn Wood Sessions, wife of a local dairyman, Charles Sessions.
3. The local railroad siding and later Pacific Electric Railway station were named after the dairy.
4. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12.5 km2), all land.
5. Fire protection in Lynwood is provided by the Los Angeles County Fire Department. The LACFD operates Station #147 at 3161 East Imperial Highway and Station #148 at 4262 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, both in Lynwood, as a part of Battalion 13.
6. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) operates the Century Station in Lynwood. The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services operates the South Health Center in Watts, Los Angeles, serving Lynwood.
7. Lynwood is represented in the 63rd Assembly District by Democrat Anthony Rendon and in the 33rd Senate District represented by Democrat Ricardo Lara. In the United States House of Representatives, Lynwood is in California’s 44th congressional district, represented by Democrat Nanette Barragán. Janice Hahn represents Lynwood located in the Fourth Los Angeles Board of Supervisors District.
8. On March 20, 2006, former mayor Paul H. Richards II was sentenced to 188 months in federal prison after being convicted in 2005 on numerous corruption charges that centered on his funneling of $6 million in city business — including exorbitant no-bid contracts — to a “consulting company” controlled by him and his family. Richards had served on the City Council from 1986 until he was recalled by voters in 2003; during that time he served seven terms as mayor.
9. The United States Postal Service operates the Lynwood Post Office at 11200 Long Beach Boulevard and the East Lynwood Post Office at 11634 Atlantic Avenue.
10. The City of Lynwood operates three parks: Lynwood City Park, Lynwood Skate Park, and Yvonne Burke-John D. Ham Park.