Albion is a town in Whitman County, Washington, United States. The population was 579 at the 2010 census. Take a look below for 10 interesting and fascinating facts about Albion, Washington, United States.
1. Albion was first settled in 1871 by Levi Reynolds, and was platted in 1883.
2. The town was known as Guy, until 1901, when a resident insisted to change the town’s name to honor Sir Francis Drake, who named the region Nova Albion (New England).
3. Albion was officially incorporated on March 4, 1910.
4. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.36 square miles (0.93 km2), all of it land.
5. This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F.
6. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Albion has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
7. As of the census of 2010, there were 579 people, 271 households, and 154 families living in the town.
8. The population density was 1,608.3 inhabitants per square mile (621.0/km2). There were 302 housing units at an average density of 838.9 per square mile (323.9/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 92.4% White, 0.7% African American, 0.5% Native American, 1.0% Asian, 0.5% from other races, and 4.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.1% of the population.
9. There were 271 households, of which 29.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.6% were married couples living together, 10.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 43.2% were non-families. 34.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14 and the average family size was 2.73.
10. The median age in the town was 37.2 years. 23.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 29% were from 25 to 44; 30.7% were from 45 to 64; and 9.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 49.4% male and 50.6% female.