Cove is a city in Union County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 10 interesting and awesome facts about Cove, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 552 at the 2010 census.
2. Euro-Americans first settled here in 1862, and in 1863 they established a post office named Forest Cove. Samuel G. French was the first postmaster.
3. To avoid confusion between Forest Cove and another Oregon community, Forest Grove in Washington County, post office authorities changed the name to Cove in 1868.
4. Cove was platted in the 1870s along Ruckles Road, only the second road over the Blue Mountains.
5. This area was well known to the Cayuse and Nez Perce Tribes who referred to it as Wiweeletitpe (wee-walla-tit-puh), meaning “Many creeks flowing at that place”.
6. Cove lies east of La Grande and north of Union along the eastern edge of the Grande Ronde Valley of northeastern Oregon. Mill Creek, a tributary of the Grande Ronde River, flows west from the Wallowa Mountains through Cove.
7. Mount Fanny rises to about 7,200 feet (2,200 m) about 3 miles (5 km) east of the city.
8. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.77 square miles (1.99 km2), all of it land.
9. Cove High School is located in the center of Cove, and attendance is around 100 students. Cove High School is a 2A school and a member of the Wapiti League of the OSAA, along with Burns, Elgin, Enterprise, Grant Union, Union and Imbler.
10. Cove Hot Springs Pool is a natural warm-water swimming pool.