Galt is a city in Sacramento County, California. Take a look below for 10 fun and interesting facts about Galt, California, United States.
1. It is part of the Sacramento metropolitan area.
2. The population was 23,647 at the 2010 census, up from 19,472 at the 2000 census.
3. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.9 square miles (15 km2), of which, 5.9 square miles (15 km2) of it is land and 0.23% is water.
4. The city is bordered entirely by unincorporated areas of both Sacramento and San Joaquin Counties.
5. Galt was named in 1869 after former city of Galt in Canada, now part of Cambridge, the hometown of John McFarland.
6. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Galt has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csa” on climate maps.
7. Galt is home to many civic groups and clubs. The Galt Area Historical Society is very active and has more than 500 members. The Performing Animal Welfare Society is a place where retired, abandoned or abused performing animals and victims of the exotic animal trade can live in peace and contentment. The Galt Lions Club is part of Lions International and helps the local visually impaired repair their vision.
8. Galt is well known for the Flea Market, also known as Galt Market.
9. Cosumnes River country holds a very special place among California landscapes. The Cosumnes River Preserve was created to safeguard much of that landscape.
10. The city hosts an annual winter bird festival, in conjunction with the Cosumnes River Preserve, as many birds winter in and around the city.