Jordin Brianna Sparks is an American singer-songwriter and actress. She rose to fame in 2007 after winning the sixth season of American Idol at age 17, becoming the youngest winner in the series’ history. Her self-titled debut studio album, released later that year, was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America and has sold over two million copies worldwide. Take a look below for 40 more fun and fascinating facts about Jordin Sparks.
1. Sparks was born in Phoenix, Arizona, to Jodi Jackson and former professional American football player Phillippi Sparks.
2. Sparks has a younger brother, Phillippi “PJ” Sparks, Jr., who plays football at Arizona Christian University.
3. Her father is African-American with French and Cherokee roots and her mother has German, English, Scottish, and Norwegian ancestry.
4. She grew up in the suburbs of Ridgewood, New Jersey, while her father played as a defensive back for the New York Giants.
5. After living in New Jersey, Sparks attended Northwest Community Christian School in Phoenix through the eighth grade.
6. Sparks attended Sandra Day O’Connor High School until 2006 when she was homeschooled by her grandmother, Pam Wiedmann, to better concentrate on her singing.
7. Sparks is an evangelical Christian and attends Calvary Community Church in Phoenix.
8. On her American Idol biography, she thanks her parents, grandparents, and God for her win.
9. She won an award for best young artist of the year in Arizona three years in a row.
10. Before appearing on American Idol, Sparks participated in and won such talent competitions as Coca-Cola’s Rising Star, the Gospel Music Association Academy’s Overall Spotlight Award, America’s Most Talented Kids, Colgate Country Showdown, and the 2006 Drug Free AZ Superstar Search.
11. From the time Jordin was nine years old until her win as American Idol 2007, her maternal grandmother, Pam Wiedmann, managed her.
12. Prior to Idol, Sparks frequently performed the national anthem at various local sporting events, notably for the Phoenix Suns, Arizona Cardinals, and Arizona Diamondbacks.
13. Sparks also appeared with Alice Cooper in his 2004 Christmas show and toured with Christian contemporary singer Michael W. Smith in 2006.
14. In 2006, Sparks was one of six winners of the Phoenix Torrid search for the “Next Plus Size Model”.
15. She was flown to California, where she was featured in Torrid ads and promotional pieces.
16. A full-page ad for Torrid featuring Sparks ran in the December 2006 issue of Seventeen magazine.
17. In April 2008, Sparks suffered acute vocal cord hemorrhaging due to overusing her vocal cords.
18. Doctors ordered vocal rest, forcing Sparks to cancel appearances, including scheduled cameos on Alicia Keys’s tour. Doctors cleared Sparks a month later, letting her rejoin the tour.
19. Sparks and Jason Derulo dated for three years and ended their relationship in 2014.
20. On July 17, 2017, Sparks married Dana Isaiah (born: Dana Isaiah Thomas), a fitness model in Hawaii.
21. In November 2017 People published news of her pregnancy.
22. Following that, Sparks revealed on her Instagram page their first child will be a boy, whom they expect in spring 2018.
23. On the subject of their pregnancy, Sparks admitted it was, at first, a “shock,” as the couple had only been married a month, but they quickly embraced the news.
24. On May 2, 2018, Sparks gave birth to her first child, a son, named Dana Isaiah Thomas Jr.
25. In April 2008, it was announced that Sparks would team up with cosmetics company, Avon, to become a spokesperson for the teen-focused line Mark.
26. In November 2008, Sparks teamed up with Wet Seal to create her own clothing line ‘Sparks’; the line launched on November 19, 2008, featuring sizes XS to XL.
27. In October 2010, Sparks released her debut fragrance, “Because of You….” This fragrance was exclusively distributed at first by Dots Department Stores, but by November was made available to other retail stores.
28. In March 2012, due to the success of her first fragrance, Sparks released her second fragrance, Fascinate, exclusively with Dots Fashions as a sister scent to her first.
29. In 2009, she made her acting debut on Disney’s The Suite Life on Deck, guest starring as herself in the “Crossing Jordin” episode.
30. Sparks also guest starred on the hit Nickelodeon show, Big Time Rush.
31. On May 3, 2010, it was announced that Sparks would join the cast of the Broadway show In the Heights as Nina Rosario.
32. In 2012, Sparks made her film debut in Sparkle.
33. Sparks played the part of Abby in Dear Secret Santa, a Lifetime Television romantic Christmas film that premiered on November 30, 2013.
34. In November 2013, Sparks guest starred on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. Sparks plays Alison Stone, a high school teacher who somehow finds herself scared and covered in blood in a hotel room crime scene.
35. Sparks’s interest in non-profit causes began prior to her appearance on American Idol. She performed at the Arizona Right to Life conference in 2005.
36. In 2008, Sparks supported Dosomething.org’s Do Something 101 campaign by filming a public service announcement explaining the nationwide school supplies drive project.
37. On May 20, 2009, Sparks became an endorser for the Got Milk? campaign, an American advertising campaign encouraging the consumption of cow’s milk.
38. On July 28, 2011, Sparks performed a live surprise concert in Times Square.
39. Sparks has also shown support for Little Kids Rock, a national non-profit that works to restore and revitalize music education in disadvantaged US public schools, by donating items for auction to raise money for the organization.
40. Sparks was named the “VH1 Save The Music Foundation Ambassador” in 2011.