Ciara Princess Harris is an American singer, songwriter, dancer and model. Born in Austin, Texas, she traveled around the world during her childhood, eventually moving to Atlanta, Georgia, where she joined the girl group Hearsay. She later signed a publishing deal, and befriended producer Jazze Pha, who recorded demos that would appear on her debut album. Take a look below for 33 more fun and interesting facts about Ciara.
1. Ciara was born in Austin, Texas, on October 25, 1985, the only child of Jackie and Carlton Clay Harris.
2. An army brat, she grew up in Germany, New York, Utah, California, Arizona and Nevada.
3. Ciara’s parents are both African Americans. Ciara also has some Irish ancestry, from her mother’s background.
4. She was named after the Revlon fragrance “Ciara” which was introduced in 1973 and is still sold today.
5. During her teens, Ciara and her family settled in Atlanta, Georgia.
6. In her mid-teens, Ciara formed the all-girl group Hearsay with two of her friends.
7. The group recorded demos, but as time went on, they began to have differences and eventually parted ways.
8. Despite this setback, Ciara was still determined to reach her goal and signed a publishing deal as a songwriter.
9. Her first success was writing the song “Go Me Waiting” for R&B singer Fantasia Barrino’s debut album, “Free Yourself.”
10. It was when she was writing songs that she met music producer, Jazze Pha, whom she called her “music soulmate.”
11. In 2002, the two recorded four demos, “1, 2 Step”, “Thug Style,” “Pick Up the Phone,” and “Lookin’ at You,” which all appeared on her debut album, which was released two years later. “1, 2 Step” was the second single released from it and became a hit.
12. After graduating from Riverdale High School in Riverdale, Georgia in 2003, she was signed by LaFace Records executive, L.A. Reid, whom she was introduced to by Jazze Pha.
13. She began production on her debut album later that year. In early 2004, she wrote a demo with record producer, Sean Garrett, which came to the attention of Lil Jon and became her debut single “Goodies”. Lil Jon stated later that he knew it would be big seeing how it sounded similar to Usher’s international hit, “Yeah!.”
14. Ciara released her debut album Goodies on September 28, 2004. The album debuted at number three on the U.S. Billboard 200, selling 124,750 copies in its initial week and topped the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.
15. Ciara is known for her often “breathy soprano” vocals.
16. Ciara said that watching Destiny’s Child and Janet Jackson perform on television inspired her to pursue a career in music, and cites Jackson and her brother Michael as her biggest inspirations.
17. Ciara considered herself to reach “a career pinnacle” when she featured on Janet Jackson’s 2008 album Discipline.
18. She has cited Beyoncé as an influence, citing her career longevity as an influence continuing to say “I have a lot of respect for her. I respect any woman that works hard and gets success from the hard work that they put into it”.
19. Ciara has received praise for her stage presence and routines during live performances. Dalondo Moultrie of The Morning Call’s praised Ciara’s stage presence saying that she “put on one of the best performances I have seen yet at [Crocodile Rock]”.
20. Sia Michel of The New York Times praised Ciara’s relentless professional presence stating: “Ciara led a squad of hip-hop dancers through stylishly choreographed routines. Striding about in a headset, she was a commanding and relentlessly professional presence.”
21. With the release of her debut single “Goodies”, Ciara was referred to as the Princess of Crunk&B.
22. The album’s lead single’s success exemplified urban music’s commercial dominance during the early 2000s, which featured massive crossover success on the Billboard charts by R&B and hip hop artists.
23. In 2004, all 12 songs that topped the Billboard Hot 100 were African-American recording artists and accounted for 80% of the number-one R&B hits that year.
24. Ciara is married to Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.
25. They began dating in early 2015 and announced their engagement on March 11, 2016.
26. They were married on July 6, 2016 at Peckforton Castle in Cheshire, England. Together, they have one child, a daughter, born on April 28, 2017.
27. Ciara also has a son, born on May 19, 2014, from her previous relationship with Future.
28. Ciara and Future were engaged in October 2013, but ended the engagement in August 2014.
29. Ciara became the face of Jay-Z’s Rocawear clothing line and spokesperson for the women campaign entitled “I Will Not Lose”, which debuted in the summer of 2007.
30. In the October issue of Vibe Magazine, she appeared, apparently nude, on the magazine cover but claimed Vibe had airbrushed her clothes off. She told MTV News that she was hurt by the photos and was quite shocked when she finally got her hands on the month’s issue. She later confirmed that she was in fact clothed.
31. In September 2008, Ciara contributed to the song “Just Stand Up!” with fifteen other female artists, who shared the stage to perform the song live on September 5, 2008 during the “Stand Up to Cancer” television special. The proceeds from the single were given to the fundraiser.
32. In 2009, Ciara became the face of Dosomething.org’s “Do Something 101” campaign to raise school supplies for those in need at the start of the school year. She filmed a public service announcement to endorse the campaign.
33. On May 12, 2016, it was announced that Ciara signed a modeling contract with IMG.