Harry Edward Styles is an English singer, songwriter, and actor. His musical career began in 2010 when he auditioned for the British singing competition The X Factor. He was eliminated early on, but was brought back to form the boy band One Direction. The band finished in third place and signed with Syco. They earned four number one studio albums on the Billboard 200, and earned four top five singles on the Billboard Hot 100. Take a look below for 33 more awesome and interesting facts about Harry Styles.
1. Styles was born on February 1, 1994, in Redditch, Worcestershire.
2. He is the son of Anne Cox and Desmond “Des” Styles, who worked in finance.
3. Many of his ancestors were farm laborers in Norfolk.
4. Styles was raised in Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, after his parents moved there along with his older sister, Gemma, when he was a child.
5. His earliest memory is of going to Disney World.
6. He attended Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School.
7. Styles’s parents divorced when he was seven and his mother later was remarried to Robin Twist, who died of cancer in 2017.
8. Styles has an older stepbrother named Mike and a stepsister named Amy, children of Twist.
9. As a sixteen-year-old, he worked part-time at the W. Mandeville Bakery in Holmes Chapel.
10. As a child, Styles loved singing, covering songs from Elvis Presley.
11. While at Holmes Chapel Comprehensive, Styles was the lead singer for the band White Eskimo, which won a local Battle of the Bands competition.
12. Styles was in a relationship with The Xtra Factor presenter Caroline Flack from November 2011 to January 2012, which caused controversy and criticism over their 14-year age gap.
13. Styles dated American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift in late 2012.
14. He has residences in the West Village of New York and North London, having previously owned homes in Los Angeles.
15. Styles has dozens of tattoos and had the words “Late Late” tattooed onto his arm during an appearance on The Late Late Show with James Corden in 2015.
16. In May 2018, Styles was named third on the Sunday Times Rich List of musicians in the UK under 30, with an estimated net worth of £50 million.
17. In 2013, Styles along with One Direction member Liam Payne became ambassadors for the cancer charity Trekstock, and raised more than $800,000 through the online fundraising platform Prizeo.
18. In 2015, Styles sponsored water wells in India via Drop4Drop in support of Life Water’s World Water Day campaign.
19. In 2016, Styles donated his hair to the UK charity Little Princess Trust, which supplies and funds high quality wigs made of real hair to children who have hair loss as a result of cancer treatment or other illnesses.
20. In 2017, to celebrate the release of his debut album, Styles played intimate shows at The Garage in London and at the Troubadour in Los Angeles, with all proceeds benefiting charities.
21. In October the same year, Styles alongside other artists performed at CBS Radio’s 5th Annual We Can Survive concert at the Hollywood Bowl, held in honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month with proceeds going to Young Survival Coalition.
22. By the end of his first tour in 2018, Styles had raised $1.2 million in charity donations from a portion of ticket and merchandise sales and Live Nation’s contributions for 62 charities around the world.
23. During the tour, Styles led a major effort in water conservation that saved upwards of 13,000 single-use water bottles, and recycled more than 6,500 gallons of water from buses, dressing rooms and other backstage areas.
24. Styles has supported various causes and social movements. He has been a long-standing advocate for equality and an ardent supporter of the LGBT community and is frequently seen waving the rainbow flag on stage.
25. In 2018, he released T-shirts with the slogan “Treat People With Kindness” in a rainbow print in celebration of Pride Month, with all proceeds benefiting GLSEN.
26. Styles has also advocated for gender equality and stricter gun control in the United States.
27. Styles’ music contain elements of soft rock, pop, folk, rock, and Britpop.
28. His musical style on his debut solo album was described as having an “intimately emotional Seventies soft-rock vibe” by Rolling Stone writer Rob Sheffield and “synthesis[ing] influences from the last half-century of rock” by Time magazine.
29. Styles has cited country singer Shania Twain as his “main influence” both musically and in fashion.
30. He has also cited Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Harry Nilsson, Freddie Mercury, Queen and Elvis Presley as being influences.
31. Upon listening to Pink Floyd’s 1973 album The Dark Side of the Moon as a child, he said he “couldn’t really get it, but I just remember being like – this is really fucking cool.”
32. He was ranked first and fifth in 2016 and 2017 respectively on British Vogue’s “The 50 Fittest Boys.”
33. He was voted the “Sexiest Male in Pop” for 2016, 2017, and 2018 in a poll by British radio network Capital.