Christian Michael Leonard Slater is an American actor, voice actor and producer. He made his film debut with a leading role in “The Legend of Billie Jean,” and gained wider recognition for his breakthrough role as Jason “J.D.” Dean, a sociopathic high school student, in the satire “Heathers.” Take a look below for 32 more interesting and fascinating facts about Christian Slater.
1. Slater was born in New York City in 1969, the son of Michael Hawkins, an actor also known as Michael Gainsborough, and Mary Jo Slater, an acting agent turned casting executive and producer.
2. He has a maternal half-brother, Ryan Slater, who also became an actor.
3. His great-uncle was radio personality Bill Slater.
4. He attended the Dalton School, the Professional Children’s School and the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts.
5. Slater started acting from an early age. His first television role was at the age of eight on the ABC soap opera “One Life to Live.”
6. Following a run on “Ryan’s Hope,” he made his Broadway debut as the lisping Winthrop Paroo opposite Dick Van Dyke in the 1980 revival of “The Music Man.”
7. Slater made his big screen debut in 1985’s “The Legend of Billie Jean,” playing Billie Jean’s brother Binx. Though expected to be a big hit, the film fell short at the box office. It has gained a cult following.
8. His career improved with his role in “The Name of the Rose” alongside Sean Connery.
9. At the age of 20, Slater played the dark character J.D. in the 1989 film “Heathers” alongside Winona Ryder. “Heathers” was billed as the teen film of 1989.
10. Slater beat out many other actors such as Brad Pitt for the part, and his performance drew comparison with a young Jack Nicholson.
11. In 1991, Slater was cast as Will Scarlett in the Hollywood big budget production of “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves” alongside Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman and Alan Rickman.
12. Since 2000 Slater has mixed TV work with leading roles in mainly lower budget films, along with supporting roles in a few mainstream productions.
13. Slater starred in the television series “My Own Worst Enemy” in 2008 and “The Forgotten” in 2009.
14. In 2015, Slater signed on for his title role in the television series on USA Network called “Mr. Robot.”
15. Prior to beginning his role in “Mr. Robot,” Slater announced in 2013 that he was developing and making a film based on Will Viharo’s 1993 neo-noir novel “Love Stories Are Too Violent for Me,” the first of three works to feature Vic Valentine. However, the success of “Mr. Robot” and contracts for additional seasons has delayed his being able to develop his adaptation.
16. In 2000, Slater married Ryan Haddon, the daughter of 1970s model Dayle Haddon.
17. They have two children, Jaden Christopher (born 1999) and Eliana Sophia Slater (born 2001).
18. In 2003, Haddon was arrested for assaulting Slater during an argument at a Hard Rock Cafe while on vacation in Las Vegas. Haddon allegedly threw a glass and cut Slater’s neck, for which he required 20 stitches.
19. Haddon was charged with domestic battery, booked at Las Vegas’ Clark County Detention Center, and freed after posting a bond.
20. They announced a separation over Christmas 2004. Slater was living in London at the time, performing in a stage version of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.” The couple officially separated in 2005 and divorced in 2007.
21. On December 2, 2013, Slater married his girlfriend Brittany Lopez in Florida after three years of dating.
22. Slater practices Kempo Karate.
23. Slater divides his time between Coconut Grove in Miami, Florida, and Hell’s Kitchen, Manhattan.
24. Slater has had difficulties with substance abuse and received treatment. At one time he said, “Work is my hobby, staying sober is my job.”
25. After living in recovery, he said in 2009, “Work is my job, and having adventures with my kids. My kids are all-important”.
26. In 1989, Slater was arrested for drunk driving. He was sentenced to ten days in jail.
27. In 1994, he was arrested when he tried to board a commercial plane with a gun in his luggage. He was sentenced to community service.
28. In 1997, Slater was convicted of punching his girlfriend, Michelle Jonas, and assaulting a police officer while under the influence of heroin, cocaine, and alcohol. He had consumed them for two days straight and had little to no sleep.
29. He was treated for more than 100 days in a rehabilitation facility while on bail, and then was sentenced to a three-month term in jail, followed by three months in a residential rehab center. He was released from prison after 59 days on the basis of good behavior.
30. On May 24, 2005, Slater was arrested in Manhattan, New York, after he allegedly groped a woman on the street.
31. Slater was charged with third-degree sexual abuse and was held at the 19th precinct in Manhattan. The charges were later dropped from lack of evidence and on the condition that Slater keep out of trouble for six months.
32. Slater has been a supporter of several charities, including 21st Century Leaders, Global Green, and Whatever It Takes.