Michelle Ingrid Williams, born September 9, 1980, is an American actress. She is the recipient of several accolades, including a Golden Globe Award and has been nominated for four Academy Awards and one Tony Award. She is the daughter of politician and trader Larry R. Williams. Take a look below for 30 more interesting and awesome facts about Michelle Ingrid Williams.
1. She began her career at a young age with television guest appearances, and made her feature film debut in the family movie Lassie.
2. At the age of 15, she gained emancipation from her parents, and soon achieved public recognition for her leading role in the television teen drama series Dawson’s Creek.
3. Williams followed Dawson’s Creek by featuring in small-scale movies that were not widely seen before achieving her breakthrough with the tragic romance Brokeback Mountain, for which she received her first Oscar nomination.
4. William went on to gain critical acclaim for playing emotionally troubled women in several independent films, including the dramas Wendy and Lucy, Blue Valentine and Manchester by the Sea.
5. For Portraying the actress Marilyn Monroe in My Week with Marilyn, she won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress.
6. Her highest grossing releases came with Martin Scorsese’s thriller Shutter Island, the fantasy movie Oz the Great and Powerful, and the musical The Greatest Showman.
7. On Broadway, Williams starred in revivals of the musical Cabaret in 2014 and the drama Blackbird in 2016.
8. In 1999, she was chosen as one of Teen People Magazine’s “21 Hottest Stars Under 21.”
9. She loves reading in her spare time.
10. She wrote a script called “Don’t Blink” which was sold but never made.
11. She collects rare books. Williams owns a first edition of The Great Gatsby, among others.
12. Williams was in a relationship with Conor Oberst from 1999 to 2001. Some songs for his band, Bright Eyes, are about her.
13. In 2000, she was on Entertainment Weekly’s annual It List.
14. At the age of 16, she won the Robbins Trading Company World Cup Championship of Futures Trading by turning $10,000 into $100,000. It’s the second highest profit in the tournament’s history.
15. She dated singer Andy Herod of The Comas for two years. His album “Conductor” is about their relationship and his heartbreak after it ended. Michelle also features in the accompanying short movie of the same name.
16. She was roommates with Christina Ricci while filming Prozac Nation with her.
17. Williams has one younger sister, Paige, and three older half siblings from her father’s first marriage.
18. In 2003, Williams was one of ELLE Girl’s 25 Favorite Hot, Young, Talented New Stars.
19. Michelle and her fiance, Heath Ledger, had a girl, Matilda Ledger, on October 28, 2005, in Brooklyn, New York.
20. The godparents of her daughter Matilda are Jake Gyllenhaal and Busy Philipps, her Dawson’s Creek co-star.
21. Williams is the fist cast-member of Dawson’s Creek to receive an Oscar nomination.
22. She was in a relationship with Spike Jonze, having met on the set of Where the Wild Things Are.
23. Williams returned to work 5 months after giving birth to her daughter Matilda to being filming The Hottest State.
24. Michelle’s father is of one half Norwegian, one quarter German, and approximately one quarter English ancestry, along with distant Scottish roots. Michelle’s mother is of three eighths Norwegian descent, with Michelle’s mother’s other ancestry including Swedish, Swiss-German, Danish, English, Welsh and Scottish.
25. She has stated that Katharine Hepburn is one her favorite actresses.
26. Williams received the Desert Palm Achievement Actress award at the Palm Springs International Film Festival on January 7, 2012.
27. The longest she has gone without an Oscar nomination is 5 years, between Brokeback Mountain and Blue Valentine.
28. She was offered the role of Miss San Antonio in Machete Kills but declined. The role went to Amber Heard.
29. Williams was direct Liv Ullmann’s original choice to play the title role of Miss Julie, but she had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts.
30. She is the fact of Louis Vuitton handbags and jewelry since 2013.