Selena Marie Gomez is an American singer and actress. She began her career starring in the children’s television series Barney and Friends. Gomez rose to fame playing the lead role of Alex Russo in the Disney Channel television series Wizards of Waverly Palace. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Selena Gomez.
1. She starred in the movies Another Cinderella Story, Princess Protection Program, Ramona and Beezus, Monte Carlo, Spring Breakers, Getaway, and The Fundamentals of Caring. She also voices the character of Mavis in the Hotel Transylvania film franchise.
2. In 2008, she founded her own production company, July Moon Productions, and formed the band Selena Gomez & the Scene.
3. Her group released three studio albums: Kiss & Tell, A Year Without Rain and When the Sun Goes Down, before disbanding in 2012.
4. After putting out a compilation album as her fifth and final release through Hollywood Records, which was preceded by her second top ten single, “The Heart Wants What It Wants,” Gomez signed a new recording contract with Interscope Records.
5. In 2013, she debut her solo album Stars Dance. The album debuted atop the U.S. Billboard 200, and included the top ten single “Come & Get It”.
6. In 2015, she released her second solo album, Revival. The album debuted on top of the Billboard 200, while the first three singles “Good for You”, “Same Old Love”, and “Hands to Myself” all topped the Mainstream Top 40 chart in the United States.
7. In 2010, she released her own clothing line through Kmart and a self titled fragrance in 2013.
8. In 2017, she released a limited edition collection of handbags called the Selena Grace that she designed in collaboration with luxury brand Coach.
9. She has worked with various charitable organizations for years and became a UNICEF ambassador at the age of 17.
10. As of September 2017, Gomez is the most followed Instagram user in the world.
11. Gomez has earned numerous awards throughout her career, including an ALMA Award, an American Music Award, an MTV Video Music Award, a People’s Choice Award, two Billboard Women in Music Awards and 16 Teen Choice Awards.
12. She had two failed TV pilots. After being discovered by Disney Channel scouts in 2004, Gomez guest starred in The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, then had a recurring role alongside Miley Cyrus on Hannah Montana. After that, she filmed two spin-off pilots that were never picked up.
13. Gomez was raised primarily by her mom, former stage actress Mandy Dawn Teefey. She said that she decided to become an actress when she watched her mom her ready for stage performances.
14. She was named after Tejano singer Selena Quintanilla Perez, who was shot and killed in 1995.
15. Gomez grew up listening to Selena’s music and her father even took her to the late star’s memorial statue in Texas. She also liked Jennifer Lopez’s portrayal of Selena in the 1997 biopic.
16. She said that she was bullied a lot in elementary and middle school. In an interview she said, “It makes you a stronger person to turn your cheek and go the other way.”
17. She dated Nick Jonas in 2008, not long after he and Miley Cyrus broke up. They lasted about a year before going their separate ways.
18. Gomez was the face of the Sears back to school ad campaign in 2009. She was featured in the retailer’s ads and commercials while wearing clothing that looked a little more like Avril Lavigne than Selena Gomez.
19. She is best friends with Taylor Swift. Swift said in an interview, “We’ve been friends for four years and she has been through so much with me that I can say we’re almost sisters.”
20. She admitted to not being a fan of magic or the Harry Potter series. She said this before she got her big role in The Wizards of Waverly Place.
21. Gomez admitted that the pizza crust is her favorite part of the pizza.
22. When she was 15 years old, Gomez voices 90 Whos in Horton Hears a Who, starring Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell.
23. She earned a high school diploma through homeschooling in May, 2010.
24. She spent weeks learning two different British accents for her 2011 role in Monte Carlo. She played Grace in the movie, who is a girl that gets mistaken for a socialite while vacationing in Paris.
25. Gomez is a huge fan of Cheryl Cole and wants to record a duet with her.
26. She received a Mickey Mouse charm necklace as a gift from the Disney Channel.
27. For the soundtrack of her direct to DVD movie “Another Cinderella Story,” Gomez recorded three songs. The promo single “Tell Me Something I Don’t Know” became her first song to chart on the Billboard 100, peaking at #58.
28. She was raised Catholic. When she was 13 years old, she wanted a purity ring, and her dad went to the church and got it blessed. She stated, “He actually used me as an example for other kids. I’m going to keep my promise to myself, to my family and to God.”
29. Gomez was diagnosed with lupus sometime between 2012 and early 2014. On September 14, 2017, she announced on Instagram that she had withdrawn from public events during the previous few months because she had received a kidney transplant from actress Francia Raisa.
30. In April, 2012, she was named ambassador to the Ryan Seacrest Foundation. She was also a spokesperson for State Farm Insurance and appeared in many television commercials, which aired on the Disney Channel, to raise awareness of being a safe driver.
Pingback:February 21, 2018 at 5:53 pm