Sarah Jessica Parker is an American actress, producer and designer. She is best known for her role as Carrie Bradshaw on the HBO series Sex and the City. She won two Emmy Awards for the show, one for Outstanding Comedy Series as a producer in 2001, and another for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series in 2004. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Sarah Jessica Parker.
1. Parker made her Broadway debut when she was 11 years old in the 1976 revival of The Innocents, before going on to star in the title role of the Broadway musical Annie in 1979.
2. She appeared in the 1984 movies Footloose and Firstborn, and returned to Broadway in the 1989 play The Heidi Chronicles.
3. Her major film roles include L.A. Story, Honeymoon in Vegas, Hocus Pocus, Ed Wood, The First Wives Club, The Family Stone, Failure to Launch, and Did You Hear About The Morgans?
4. In 2012, Parker returned to television for the first time since Sex and the City, portraying Isabelle Wright in three episodes of the FOX series Glee.
5. She’s currently starring as Frances Dufrescne in the HBO series Divorce, for which she was nominated for a Golden Globe Award.
6. She was born on March 25, 1965, in Nelsonville, Ohio.
7. She was romantically linked to John F. Kennedy Jr. and Nicolas Cage.
8. Parker’s father, a native of Brooklyn, was of Eastern European Jewish background. His family’s original surname was Bar-Kahn and her mother was of English and German descent.
9. She dated Robert Downey Jr. for seven years during his destructive drug-fueled days. Robert admitted to Parade Magazine that he, “was so selfish.”
10. In 1982, she was cast as the co-lead of the CBS sitcom Square Pegs but unfortunately the show only lasted for one season.
11. Parker was raised by her mother after her parents divorced. She helped support the family at a young age, bringing home paychecks from early dancing and singing jobs.
12. She attended the School of American Ballet in New York City, the New York Professional Children’s School, the School for Creative and Performing Arts in Cincinnati, and Hollywood High School in Los Angeles, California.
13. Parker became a UNICEF ambassador in 1997.
14. She is the fourth of eight children and she grew up in relative poverty.
15. After Parker broke up with Robert Downey Jr., she transitioned to adult roles with sexy turns in a string of big-screen comedies such as L.A. Story.
16. She has said that even while her family lived in Cincinnati, her mother emulated a New York lifestyle.
17. Parker has identified culturally and ethnically with her father’s religion, Judaism, although she has had no religious training.
18. Parker wore black when she got married to Matthew Broderick in May, 1997. She has said, “I really regret that. I was too embarrassed to get married in white, and both Matthew and I were reluctant to have people pay so much attention to us. Which is ridiculous, because that’s when you can relish the attention, when it’s natural.”
19. Parker and Broderick’s twin daughters, Marion Loretta Elwell and Tabitha Hodge, were delivered via surrogate in June, 2009. The middle names of “Elwell” and “Hodge” are from Parker’s mother’s family.
20. Her first born is James Wilkie Broderick, who was born in 2002. He was named after Broderick’s father, the actor James Joseph Broderick, and writer Wilkie Collins.
21. In 2003, she became the spokesperson for Garnier hair products.
22. In 2004, she signed a $38 million contract with the GAP. It was the first multi-season contract in the clothing company’s history, in which Parker was to appear in their upcoming fall ads, and continue until the Spring of 2005.
23. In 2004, she became the Council of Fashion Designers of America’s Fashion Icon of the Year.
24. While researching her ancestry for an episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, Parker found that a distant ancestor was accused of witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials in the late 1690s.
25. In March, 2007, Parker announced the launch of her own fashion line, Bitten, in partnership with discount clothing chain Steve & Barry’s.
26. She runs her own production company, Pretty Matches, which has been creating content for HBO and other channels since 2009. The company is currently running a web series called City.Ballet that takes viewers behind the scenes with dancers of the New York City Ballet.
27. She released her own perfume in 2005 called Lovely.
28. Parker is the only one of the four lead actresses who’s never done a nude scene on the Sex and the City show or movie because her contract has a strict no nudity clause in it.
29. Sex and the City made her a fashion icon to women all over the world due to her extravagant New Yorkian style.
30. Parker has a lengthy history with Sex and the City costar Cynthia Nixon. They appeared together in the 1982 television movie My Body, My Child, and both are founding members of the Drama Department, which is a New York theater group.