Jaime King, born April 23, 1979, is an American actress and model. In her modelling career and early movie roles, she used the names Jamie King and James King, which was a childhood nickname given to King by her parents, because her agency already represented another Jaime; the older and then-more famous model Jaime Rishar. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Jaime King.
1. A successful model, King was discovered at age 14 in 1993 and appeared in Vogue, Mademoiselle and Harper’s Bazaar, among other fashion magazines.
2. From 1998, she moved into acting, taking small movie roles.
3. King’s first major role was in Pearl Harbor, and her first starring movie role was in Bulletproof Monk.
4. She has appeared as a lead in movies such as Sin City and My Bloody Valentine 3D.
5. From 2011 to 2015, King has starred in the television series Hart of Dixie.
6. In 2016, she had the lead role in The Mistletoe Promise, a Hallmark movie.
7. King was born in the suburbs of Omaha, Nebraska, the daughter of Nancy King, a former beauty queen, and Robert King.
8. She has an older sister Sandi, a younger sister Barry and a younger brother Robert.
9. King was named after Lindsay Wagner’s character, Jaime Sommers, on the 1970s television series The Bionic Woman.
10. King had attended Nancy Bounds’ Studios, a modeling school, and in 1995, dropped out of Westside High School in order to pursue a modeling career in New York City. She later enrolled in a home-study program run by the University of Nebraska.
11. She has several tattoos, including a diamond on one wrist, a spade on the other, two fairies on her lower back, her last name between her shoulders and a symbol on her abdomen.
12. She was a top model at age 16, appearing as cover girl for The New York Times Magazine and other elite fashion magazines.
13. King is a reformed heroin addict who went sober in 1997 after her boyfriend, fashion photographer David Sorrenti, younger brother of Mario Sorrenti, died after overdosing on heroin.
14. With her Fanboys director, Kyle Newman, she created a Mighty Muggs figure of Han Solo in Carbonite, from Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back, for a Lucasfilm and Make-a-Wish Foundation auction.
15. On November 23, 2007, King married her boyfriend of 2 years, Kyle Newman, following a 7 month long engagement.
16. She gave birth to her first child at age 34; a son named James Knight Newman. The child’s father is her husband, Kyle Newman.
17. She was six months pregnant with her son James when she completed filming the third season of Heart of Dixie.
18. She returned to work 1 month after giving birth to her son James to begin filming Barely Lethal.
19. Topher Grace and Jessica Alba are godparents of her son James.
20. She’s close friends with singers Lana Del Rey and Taylor Swift.
21. King was undiagnosed with Polycystic ovary syndrome and endometriosis for 8 years. Eventually, 9 doctors, including Dr. Randy Harris, diagnosed her, saving her life from severe ectopic pregnancy. She later suffered 5 miscarriages, 5 rounds of in-vitro fertilization, 26 intrauterine inseminations, most with no outcome, and 4 and a half years of trying to conceive. After finally succeeding in carrying her baby to term, she underwent 26 hours of brutal labor and early delivery because of sudden pre-eclampsia.
22. She has starred alongside Rachel Bilson in both Waiting for Forever and Hart of Dixie.
23. She gave birth to her second child at age 36, a son named Leo Thames Newman on July 16, 2015. The child’s father is her husband, Kyle Newman.
24. She appeared tied and gagged in the movie Lone Star State of Mind.
25. King briefly dated Kid Rock at the age of 21.
26. King worked in the television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars. She played the role of Aurra Sing in the series Season 1 finale episode “Hostage Crisis” and later the final three episodes of Season 2: “Death Trap,” “R2 Come Home,” and “Lethal Trackdown.”
27. King appeared in the ABC documentary-style drama television series My Generation, which premiered on September 23, 2010.
28. She appeared in the music video of The Fray hit single “Never Say Never.”
29. She appeared in Lana Del Rey’s music video, Summertime Sadness, which was directed by her husband, Kyle Newman. In the video, King plays Del Rey’s suicidal lover.
30. The Pardon, a film based on the true life story of Toni Jo Henry, the only woman to be electrocuted by the state of Louisiana, stars King in the lead role with John Hawkes playing her partner in crime.