Alicia Silverstone is an American actress. She made her film debut in “The Crush”, earning the 1994 MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance, and gained further prominence as a teen idol when she appeared at the age of 16 in the music video for Aerosmith’s “Cryin””. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Alicia Silverstone.
1. She starred in the comedy hit “Clueless”, which earned her a multi-million dollar deal with Columbia Pictures, and in the big budget film “Batman & Robin,” playing Barbara.
2. For her role in the short-lived NBC series “Miss Match,” Silverstone received a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actress – Television Series Musical or Comedy.
3. She has continued to act in film and television and on stage.
4. A vegan, Silverstone has endorsed PETA activities and has published a vegan cookbook, “The Kind Diet.”
5. Silverstone was born in San Francisco, California, the daughter of British parents Deirdre “Didi”, a Scottish former Pan Am flight attendant, and Monty Silverstone, an English real estate agent.
6. She grew up in Hillsborough, California.
7. Her father was born to a Jewish family and her mother converted to Conservative Judaism before marriage; Silverstone had a Bat Mitzvah ceremony.
8. Silverstone began modeling when she was six years old, and was subsequently cast in television commercials, the first being for Domino’s Pizza.
9. She attended Crocker Middle School and then San Mateo High School.
10. Her first credited acting role was on “The Wonder Years,” starring Fred Savage, in the January 8, 1992, episode “Road Test,” as Savage’s character’s high school “dream girl.”
11. Silverstone made her film debut when she obtained the leading role in the erotic thriller “The Crush,” playing a teenage girl who sets out to ruin an older man after her spurns her affections.
12. While in the 1990s, her public profile and film career saw significant growth, for the next decade, Silverstone stepped aside from the spotlight and opted to focus on smaller-scale films and theater.
13. Silverstone has two older siblings, a half-sister from her father’s previous marriage, Kezi Silverstone; and a brother, David Silverstone.
14. She married her longtime boyfriend, rock musician Christopher Jarecki, in a beachfront ceremony at Lake Tahoe on June 11, 2005.
15. After meeting outside a movie theater in 1997, the couple dated for eight years prior to their marriage.
16. They got engaged about a year before their marriage, and Jarecki presented Silverstone with an engagement ring that had belonged to his grandmother.
17. They lived in an eco-friendly Los Angeles house, complete with solar panels and an organic vegetable garden.
18. Silverstone bought the house, shared with a “menagerie of rescued dogs,” in 1996.
19. The couple separated in February 2018.
20. In May 2018, she filed for divorce. In November 2018, the divorce was finalized.
21. In May 2011, Silverstone gave birth to a son.
22. In March 2012, she received media attention for uploading a video of herself feeding chewed food to her son from her own mouth.
23. Silverstone is noted for being an animal rights and environmental activist.
24. She became a vegan in 1998 after attending an animal rights meeting, saying, “I realized that I was the problem… I was an animal lover who was eating animals.”
25. Silverstone has been criticized due to her anti-vaccine stance, promotion of pseudo-scientific diet and lifestyle choices, and her hyperbolic claims regarding the medical and spiritual benefits of veganism.
26. In 2004, Silverstone was voted Sexiest Female Vegetarian by PETA.
27. In 2016, she posed nude in one of PETA’s I’d Rather Go Naked anti-wool ads.
28. She supported Barack Obama‘s presidential candidacy.
29. She endorsed Senator Bernie Sanders for President in the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election.
30. In 2009, she appeared in “A Gaythering Storm,” a Funny or Die spoof Internet video parodying anti-same-sex marriage commercial “Gathering Storm.”