John Phillip Stamos is an American actor, producer, musician, comedian and singer. He first gained recognition for his contract role as Blackie Parrish on the ABC television series General Hospital, for which he was nominated for the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. Take a look below for 30 more awesome and interesting facts about John Stamos.
1. Stamos was born on August 19, 1963, in Cypress, California to William “Bill” Stamos, a restaurateur and Loretta.
2. His father was of Greek descent, and his mother was of English, Irish, and German ancestry.
3. He has two sisters, Alaina and Janeen.
4. John’s paternal grandmother, Adeline Psaras, was born in the United States to Greek immigrants; his paternal grandfather, Ioannis Stamatopoulos, came from the village of Kakouri in the Peloponnese region of Greece and changed the family surname from “Stamatopoulos” to “Stamos” upon arriving in the United States.
5. In his youth, Stamos worked for his father’s restaurants, and as a teenager had a job flipping burgers in the Orange County area.
6. He attended John F. Kennedy High School and played in the marching band there.
7. At 15, he attended his first Beach Boys concert; a huge fan, he would later tour with the band.
8. His parents were supportive of his aspiration to be an actor, and although he planned to enroll at Cypress College for the 1981 term, he skipped his first semester to focus on launching a career as an actor—with his father’s blessing.
9. After just three weeks, he landed his first role on General Hospital.
10. Stamos began his acting career with the role of Blackie Parrish on the soap opera General Hospital in late January 1982, for which he was nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award in 1984.
11. That April, he went on to the lead role in the short-lived CBS sitcom Dreams, in which he played an aspiring musician in a band of the same name.
12. Later, he played a cast role in the sitcom You Again? (1986) with Jack Klugman.
13. Stamos started learning drums when he was four, then began to take up playing the guitar, and started his own band called Destiny.
14. The band had played concerts at some amusement parks and parties.
15. Stamos performed on an independently released 1994 album entitled Shades of Blue along with Lanny Cordola, Gary Griffin, Sandra Stephens, Tony Guerrero, and David Enos.
16. On March 30, 2009, he announced that he would participate in the Broadway revival of Bye Bye Birdie. Stamos won the 2009–10 Golden Icon Award for best actor in a musical for his performance in that production.
17. Stamos was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on November 16, 2009. The star is located at 7021 Hollywood Blvd.
18. Stamos performed with John Fogerty on April 24, 2010, during one of the Tampa Bay Rays post-game concerts.
19. In August 2011, Stamos performed in Hairspray at the Hollywood Bowl as Corny Collins, alongside an all-star cast.
20. On July 10, 2012, Stamos began performances on Broadway in Gore Vidal’s The Best Man as Senator Joseph Cantwell.
21. In 2014, Stamos directed the music video “Let Yourself be Loved” for the Nashville-based band Diamond Carter, featuring the band’s front-man Tyler Tuohy alongside actress Nicky Whelan.
22. Stamos is a big fan of Elvis Presley and has often referenced or paid homage to him in the show Full House.
23. Stamos began dating model/actress Rebecca Romijn in 1994 after they met at a Victoria’s Secret fashion show in which she was modeling.
24. Stamos and Romijn became engaged on Christmas Eve 1997, and they married on September 19, 1998, at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
25. They announced their separation in April 2004.
26. Stamos filed for divorce in August 2004, and it became final on March 1, 2005.
27. On October 23, 2017, Stamos announced his engagement to model and actress Caitlin McHugh after a year of dating.
28. In December 2017, the couple announced they are expecting their first child, due in the spring of 2018. Stamos and McHugh married in February 2018.
29. In April 2018, Stamos announced the birth of his first child, a son.
30. On May 19, 2018, John and Caitlin Stamos announced their new jewelry line, “St. Amos Jewelry” with 100% of the proceeds going to the Childhelp foundation.