Jenna-Louise Coleman, born April 27, 1986, is an English actress and model. Known for her work in British television, she’s perhaps best known for her roles as Jasmine Thomas in the soap opera Emmerdale, Clara Oswald, companion to the Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors in the science fiction series Doctor Who, and Queen Victoria in the ITV biographical drama series Victoria. Take a look below for 26 more interesting and awesome facts about Jenna Coleman.
1. Coleman was born in Blackpool, Lancashire, England, and began her acting career at an early age as a member of a theater company called Yer Space.
2. While auditioning for drama schools in 2005, she was chosen to play Jasmine Thomas in Emmerdale.
3. For her performance as Jasmine Thomas in Emmerdale, Coleman received critical acclaim and was nominated for the Most Popular Newcomer ward at the 2006 National Television Awards.
4. She appeared as Lydia Wickham in the BBC drama miniseries Death Comes to Pemberley and as Katrina Clark in the romance movie Me Before You.
5. She has an older brother named Ben.
6. She attended Arnold School, where she was head girl.
7. Coleman has stated that she regrets not having a conventional university experience.
8. While she was a member of the theater company Yer Space, she performed in the play Crystal Clear at the Edinburgh Festival. She won an award for her performance.
9. In an interview with The Radio Times in 2015, she revealed that her grandmother had named her Jenna after the character of Jenna Wade, played by Priscilla Beaulieu Presley in the 1980s hit American drama series Dallas.
10. While auditioning for Doctor Who, the code name that was used was Men on Waves, an anagram for Woman Seven.
11. She was voted Best Female Guest Star for Season 7A for Asylum of The Daleks by readers of Doctor Who Magazine.
12. She is close friends with former Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi.
13. Coleman is close friends with her former Emmerdale co-star Sammy Winward and Titanic mini series co-star Perdita Weeks.
14. At the 2009 British Soap Awards, Coleman was nominated for Best Actress, Sexiest Female and Best Dramatic Performance awards.
15. In December 2010, it was announced that Coleman would be playing Susan Brown in a BBC Four television adaption of the John Braine novel Room at the Top.
16. In 2011, Coleman made her feature film debut in Captain America: The First Avenger.
17. Coleman provided the voice for the character Melia in the English dub of the 2011 video game Xenoblade Chronicles.
18. In 2012, Coleman was cast as Rosie in Stephen Paliakoff’s original drama series Dancing on the Edge, which follows the fortunes of a black jazz band in the 1930s.
19. In April 2015, it was announced that Coleman would be playing the role of Katrina Clark in the movie Me Before You, which was released on June 3, 2016.
20. She made a guest appearance in the “Earthbreaker” episode of the animated science fiction show Thunderbirds are Go.
21. In December 2017, it was announced that Coleman would be the narrator for a Royal Caribbean U.K. advertising campaign.
22. Coleman has been involved with charity work in South Africa, raising awareness of HIV with One To One Children’s Fund, for which she is an ambassador.
23. Coleman is an ambassador for Place2Be, a charity providing emotional and therapeutic services in schools.
24. She has expressed the desire to work across all three fields of entertainment; theater, film and television.
25. Coleman has stated that she’d love to play a Bond girl in the next James Bond movie.
26. Her favorite Doctor Who actors are David Tennant and Tom Baker.