Abbie Cornish, also known by her rap name MC Dusk, is an Australian actress and rapper. Following her lead performance in 2004’s “Somersault,” Cornish is best known for her film roles as Fanny Brawne in “Bright Star,” Sweet Pea in “Sucker Punch,” and Lindy in “Limitless”. Take a look below for 26 more fun and interesting facts about Abbie Cornish.
1. Cornish was born in Lochinvar, New South Wales, Australia, as the second of five children of Shelley and Barry Cornish.
2. Her sister, Isabelle Cornish, is also an actress.
3. She grew up on a 120 acre farm before moving to Newcastle, New South Wales.
4. As a teenager, Cornish was fascinated by independent and foreign movies.
5. She is a vegan, and in 2006, became an ambassador for Australian animal rights group Voiceless, the animal protection institute, and was part of a national advertising campaign in 2012.
6. In February 2019, she announced her engagement to Iraqi professional Kyokushin fighter Adel Altamimi.
7. She began modelling at the age of 13 after reaching the finals of a Dolly Magazine competition.
8. In 1999, Cornish was awarded the Australian Film Institute Young Actor’s Award for her role in the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s television show “Wildside” and was offered her first role in a feature film, “The Monkey’s Mask.”
9. In 2004, Cornish appeared in the award winning short film “Everything Goes” with Hugo Weaving.
10. She received the Australian Film Institute Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role, Best Actress at the FCCA and IF Awards and Best Breakthrough Performance at the 2005 Miami International Film Festival for her role in “Somersault.”
11. Cornish received critical acclaim for her role in “Candy”, opposite Heath Ledger.
12. She also starred in “A Good Year,” “Elizabeth: The Golden Age,” and Kimberly Peirce’s “Stop-Loss.”
13. In April 2010, Cornish was cast in “Limitless,” the movie adaption of the novel “The Dark Fields,” directed by Neil Burger and also starring Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro.
14. Cornish narrated Zack Snyder’s film “Sucker Punch,” in which she played one of the protagonists.
15. Cornish played the role of Wally in Madonna’s film “W.E.,” about Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson.
16. She replaced Emily Blunt in the independent film “The Girl.” It premiered at Tribeca Film Festival in 2012.
17. She starred alongside Woody Harrelson and Colin Farrell in “Seven Psychopaths,” released in 2012.
18. Cornish co-starred in the 2014 “RoboCop” reboot. She played Clara Murphy, the wife of protagonist Alex Murphy.
19. In 2015, she played Agent Katherine Cowles in “Solace,” a mystery thriller film directed by Afonso Poyart with central performances by Anthony Hopkins, Colin Farrell and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.
20. In 2016, she filmed “The Girl Who Invented Kissing” with Luke Wilson.
21. In 2018, she performed as Cathy Mueller in “Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan.”
22. She has been rapping under the name MC Dusk since 2000 and was part of an Australian hip hop group from the age of 18 to 22.
23. In 2015, Cornish supported American rapper Nas on his Australian tour.
24. That same year, she released two new tracks on SoundCloud: “Evolve” featuring Jane Tyrrell and “Way Back Home”, which was produce by Suffa from Hilltop Hoods.
25. She shares the same birthday as Brit Marling.
26. She was supposed to appear in the film “Atonement”, in 2007, but the set schedules were conflicting with an ongoing film she was involved with, “Elizabeth: The Golden Age.”