Meltan is a Steel-type Mythical Pokémon introduced in Generation VII in Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Let’s Go, Eevee!. In Pokémon GO, it evolves into Melmetal by using 400 Meltan Candy. It cannot be evolved in other games. Its appearance was first teased during the September Pokémon GO Community Day on September 22, 2018, and it was officially revealed on September 25, 2018. Take a look below for 25 interesting and fascinating facts about Meltan.
1. Meltan is a small Pokemon with a silvery body of liquid metal.
2. Its head resembles a golden hexagonal nut with small black sphere floating inside.
3. This sphere serves as its eye.
4. It has a red tail that resembles an electrical wire with two tiny protrusions at the end.
5. Its body can corrode metal, which it then absorbs.
6. Meltan can generate electricity using the metal it absorbs, and then fire it from its eye.
7. According to Professor Willow, Meltan has been described in ancient texts found in the same place as the Mystery Box, a mysterious item that attracts Meltan to its location when opened.
8. Professor Willow also states that Meltan is said to be created from small shards when a Melmetal rusts and splits apart.
9. Meltan is known to live in groups until the day comes where one strong Meltan absorbs the group to evolve into Melmetal.
10. As seen in the anime, the hexagonal nut on its body can be removed.
11. It has also been seen working in packs.
12. When provoked, it will spin its head, creating a sound that calls others of its own kind.
13. This head-spinning can also be used as a sign of affection.
14. The anime has also shown Meltan can be tamed if fed metal-like treats.
15. Meltan can also multiple in numbers overtime as seen in the anime.
17. Meltan is the only Mythical Pokémon that is capable of evolution.
18. Meltan is the only Pokémon capable of evolution that cannot be evolved in the core series games.
19. Meltan is the only Mythical Pokémon caught by a main character in the anime.
20. In the anime, Professor Oak is the person who gives Meltan its species name.
21. Meltan has the smallest learnset of any Mythical Pokémon, at 19 moves.
22. Meltan may be based on a hexagonal nut, and its tail resembles an exposed wire. Its body is based on mercury, a metallic element that is liquid at room temperature. Mercury can also conduct electricity, as well as react with many other metals to form amalgams, which can hold a specific shape far easier than the pure liquid, hence Meltan’s body.
23. Meltan may be a combination of melt, metal, and たん -tan (diminutive Japanese suffix). It may also be derived from tantalum, coltan, or molten.
24. Ash encountered a Meltan that arrived on Melemele Island with its fellow Meltan in Show Me the Metal!. He then caught it in the next episode after it befriended Rowlet, who helped it recover its hex nut head. It later evolved into Melmetal in Final Rivals! by combining with its fellow Meltan.
25. Multiple Meltan have made a number of appearances in Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon. For a time being, they lived in the Ultra Guardians’ base in the Pokémon School, where they assisted Lusamine’s Clefable in exchange for food and continued to multiply. They eventually combined with Ash’s Meltan to evolve into Melmetal in Final Rivals!.