William Rancic is a Croatian-American entrepreneur who was the first candidate hired by The Trump Organization at the conclusion of the first season of Donald Trump‘s reality television show, “The Apprentice.” He is married to E! News host Giuliana Rancic. Take a look below for 25 more interesting and fun facts about Bill Rancic.
1. Rancic was born in Chicago and grew up in the suburb of Orland Park, Illinois, in a family of Irish and Croatian heritage.
2. Rancic attended St. Michael’s School and graduated from Carl Sandburg High School.
3. He earned a B.S. from Loyola University Chicago.
4. His mother is Gail Rancic; his father Edward Rancic died of cancer in 1999.
5. He has three sisters, Beth, Katie and Karen.
6. Rancic was one of the job applicants in “The Apprentice 1” during the spring of 2004, as one of 16 contestants.
7. Rancic was hired at the conclusion of the 14-week job interview after Donald Trump selected him over finalist Kwame Jackson.
8. For the final challenge against competitor Kwame Jackson, Trump gave Rancic the task of running a celebrity golf outing at Trump National Golf Club Westchester in Briarcliff Manor, New York, while Jackson was tasked to manage a Jessica Simpson concert.
9. At the final board meeting, Jackson remarked that running a golf outing was the easier of the two tasks, which brought a disagreement from Trump VP Carolyn Kepcher, who was managing a golf course when Trump hired her. Trump hired Rancic.
10. Rancic was the first reality TV star to be hired on national television.
11. He elected to take charge of the construction of the Trump Tower Chicago in his native Chicago, Illinois, on the site of the demolished Chicago Sun-Times building.
12. His other option was to oversee and manage a new Trump National Golf Course and resort in Los Angeles.
13. Originally, Rancic said that after his one-year contract as being Donald Trump’s Apprentice expired, he would leave the job and start his own company. He instead opted to remain part of the Trump Organization, and in some seasons filled in as a judge when regular judge George H. Ross was away on business.
14. In September 2007, Rancic co-hosted iVillage’s “In the Loop with iVillage,” a TV show and webcast produced by NBC Universal. NBC commissioned a set at the Universal Orlando Resort in Florida.
15. In September 2008, Rancic began as host for the A&E reality show “We Mean Business,” in which small business owners undergo business make-overs.
16. In 2008, Rancic and his wife, TV host Giuliana Rancic, started a joint television production company, You and I Productions, which produces reality and scripted programming for television.
17. In 2009, they started their own reality-television show “Giuliana and Bill” which aired on the E! network.
18. In 2010, Rancic started hosting a news program called America Now, which is broadcast across the United States on stations owned by Raycom Media.
19. In 2012, Rancic became a television spokesperson for the product Rogaine, appearing in national commercials detailing his experience with hair loss.
20. In April 2014, Rancic began hosting the Food Network competitive cooking series “Kitchen Casino,” where chefs participate in three casino-themed challenges in an attempt to win up to $30,000.
21. In 2016, Rancic published his first novel, “First Light,” to mixed reviews.
22. In 2009, Rancic sold a century-old Gold Coast row house he had bought in 2007, after extensive renovations.
23. In 2011, Rancic sold a condo on the 50th floor of the Park Tower building, on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago, less than 20 months after purchasing the unit.
24. Rancic had owned a home in Hinsdale, Illinois which prominently featured on his reality show. He sold it in February 2011 after extensive renovations.
25. In 2013, Rancic and his wife purchased a 19th-century house on Bellevue Place, which they rehabbed and sold in 2019.