Cows are some of the most fascinating animals around. While at first glance they might seem like simple farm animals, there is much more to them than people know. Below you can find 25 of the most fascinating facts that we found about cows.
1. A cow’s heart beats between 60 and 70 beats per minute.
2. Cows are very social animals. They naturally form large herds and, like people, they like to make friends and bonds to other herd members. Sometimes they even avoid members that they don’t like.
3. Cows can hear lower and higher frequencies much better than humans.
4. Cows are red and green color blind. In a bullfight, for example, it’s the constant waving of the cape that makes the bull charge it and not the fact that it’s red.
5. A cows normal body temperature is 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. An average cow that you can find on a farm weighs about 1,200 pounds.
7. An average cow has more than 40,000 jaw movements per day.
8. The first cow to fly in an airplane was Elm Farm Ollie in February, 1930. Ollie was also the first cow to be milked on an airplane.
9. The average cow stands up and sits back down about 14 times in a single day.
10. Cows chew at least 50 times per minute.
11. Cows have one stomach, but four different digestive compartments.
12. Cows don’t bite grass, instead, they curl their tongue around it and rip it out of the ground.
13. Like horses, cows have almost total 360 degree panoramic vision. This is due to their eyes being located on the side of their head.
14. A dairy cow produces 125 pounds of saliva every single day.
15. Cows are pregnant for 9 months, just like humans.
16. Like horses, cows are unable to vomit.
17. A cow can walk upstairs, but not downstairs. This is because a cow’s knees can’t bend properly to walk downstairs.
18. Cows spend 8 hours per day eating, 8 hours chewing her cud, which is regurgitated food, and 8 hours sleeping.
19. The average dairy cow produces about 70 pounds of milk, or about 8 gallons per day.
20. The average cow drinks 30 to 50 gallons of water per day.
21. Dairy cows create many jobs for the local communities. 1 dairy cow creates 4 full time positions on any farm.
22. Cows only have their bottom set of teeth.
23. Cows have an amazing sense of smell. They can smell something that’s 6 miles away.
24. The average cow will eat about 100 pounds of feed per day.
25. A Holstein’s spots are like a fingerprint. No two cows have the same exact pattern of black and white spots.