Zweilous is a dual-type Dark/Dragon Pokémon introduced in Generation V. It evolves from Deino starting at level 50 and evolves into Hydreigon starting at level 64. Take a look below for 25 amazing and fascinating facts about Zweilous.
1. Zweilous is a dark blue, quadruped Pokemon with two heads and black fur covering its neck and back.
2. Its front legs are muscular with two claws on each foot, but its rear legs are less defined and have two small, backward-pointing toes without claws.
3. There are tufts of fur over its heads with rounded points at the top.
4. It has two thin wings on its back, each ending in two points.
5. The fur stops at the chest and opens up to fuchsia striped bands on the side of its legs.
6. Though it appears to lack eyes, it is unknown if Zweilous is blind.
7. Zweilous has the vigor and energy to eat and bite constantly without stopping.
8. Its heads dislike each other and are very hostile.
9. As a result, the heads often turn eating into a competition.
10. Whichever head eats more than the other gets to be the leader.
11. Because of this, Zweilous always eats far too much.
12. It is a nomadic Pokémon; it migrates once it has eaten all the prey in an area.
13. Of all the Pokémon that evolve by level alone, Zweilous can evolve into its final form, Hydreigon, later than any other Pokémon, evolving at level 64.
14. According to interviews with Ken Sugimori in Nintendo Dream, Zweilous and its evolutionary family were originally intended to be cyborg dragons with aspects of tanks. The Pokémon were scrapped until late in development, when they were revived and remade to be based on Yamata no Orochi. The tank tread-like markings on Zweilous’s underbelly are a remnant of this design.
15. Zweilous shares its category with Basculin. They are both known as the Hostile Pokémon.
16. Zweilous and Deino are the only Pokémon who have Hustle as their only Ability.
17. Zweilous is based on the Yamata no Orochi. Its multiple heads and Shiny coloration resemble the Zmey Gorynych, and it may also incorporate elements of the Lernaean Hydra. These mythological serpents may have inspired Hydreigon’s Dark typing, as all three are deadly antagonists, with the Zmey Gorynych in particular shown to be deceptive.
18. Due to its apparent blindness and only being found in certain caves, Zweilous may also be based on a cave salamander.
19. Zweilous may be a combination of zwei (German for two) and jealous (as the heads always fight over food). It may also derive from zealous, which reflects Zweilous’s voracious appetite and intensely competitive nature.
20. Zweilous made its main series debut in A Village Homecoming!, where two of them were owned by Iris’s friend Shannon. The older of the two eventually evolved into Hydreigon.
21. A Zweilous appeared in Aiming for the Top Floor!, under the ownership of Ryuki. It was first used in his battle against Kiawe, where it easily defeated Marowak after the latter got distracted by Ryuki’s music. Zweilous was then used in a Double Battle alongside Druddigon, going up against Ash’s Rowlet and Meltan, but both were soon defeated.
22. Zweilous debuted in a cameo in Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice during the World of Pokémon introduction.
23. A Trainer’s Zweilous appeared in Settling the Scorbunny!.
24. A Trainer’s Zweilous appeared in Dream a Little Dream.
25. A Zweilous was used by one of the Seven Sages to fend off several Trainers that were trying to rescue the captured Gym Leaders in Triple Threat.