Jenna Lee Dewan is an American actress and dancer. She started her career as a backup dancer for Janet Jackson, and later worked with artists including Pink, Missy Elliott and Christina Aguilera. She is known for her role as Nora Clark in the 2006 film Step Up. She has also starred on the short-lived NBC series The Playboy Club and had a recurring role on the FX Series American Horror Story: Asylum. Take a look below for 24 more fun and interesting facts about Jenna Dewan.
1. Dewan was born in Hartford, Connecticut, the daughter of Nancy Smith and Darryll Dewan, who was a running back on the 1972 Notre Dame football team.
2. Her father is of Lebanese and Polish descent and her mother is of German and English ancestry.
3. As a child, Dewan moved frequently; she mentioned in an interview that she lived in seven cities before reaching the seventh grade.
4. While attending high school at Notre Dame Preparatory School in Towson, Maryland, Dewan was a varsity cheerleader.
5. She transferred to Grapevine High School in Grapevine, Texas.
6. She was also a varsity cheerleader there and was voted prom queen during her senior year.
7. She went to University of Southern California and was a member of the California Gamma chapter of Pi Beta Phi.
8. Dewan first appeared in Janet Jackson’s “Doesn’t Really Matter” video in 2000, and later in “All for You” and the All for You Tour in 2001.
9. She credits working with Jackson for aiding her career, allowing her to later work with many other artists and giving her the experience necessary to co-star in the dance film Step Up.
10. In 2016, Dewan modeled as the face of dance-wear manufacturer Danskin in a campaign and photo shoot that captured and featured her athleticism as a dancer.
11. In 2006, Dewan co-starred with Channing Tatum in Step Up, as well as starring in Take the Lead that same year.
12. In August 2008, Dewan starred in the Lifetime made-for-television film Fab Five: The Texas Cheerleader Scandal which follows five rule-breaking teens.
13. In November 2009, she appeared in the straight-to-DVD comedy American Virgin alongside Rob Schneider.
14. In March 2011, Dewan was cast in the NBC pilot of The Playboy Club. In May 2011, NBC picked up the series for a full season.
15. In November 2011, Dewan starred in the film The Jerk Theory. This was first released in Germany in 2009. It was later released in the United States in November 2011.
16. Dewan appeared in the romantic-comedy film 10 Years, produced by her then husband Channing Tatum.
17. In 2006, Dewan met actor Channing Tatum on the set of their film Step Up. They began dating shortly after filming had finished.
18. The couple became engaged in early September 2008 in Maui, and married on July 11, 2009, at Church Estates Vineyards in Malibu, California.
19. Their daughter was born in May 2013 in London, England.
20. In an interview on the Late Show with David Letterman, Tatum explained that Everly’s middle names are from Dewan’s grandmother, Elizabeth, and his own grandmother, Maiselle.
21. On April 2, 2018, after nearly nine years of marriage, the couple announced that they were separating. Six months later, Dewan filed for divorce from Tatum.
22. In October 2018, it was confirmed that Dewan is in a relationship with actor Steve Kazee. On September 24, 2019, it was announced that the couple are expecting their first child together.
23. Dewan is an animal rights activist and a vegan. PETA declared her to be one of three “Sexiest Vegans” of 2017.
24. Dewan is raising her daughter as a vegetarian but says she will let her decide what to eat when she is old enough.