Charjabug is a dual-type Bug/Electric Pokémon introduced in Generation VII. It evolves from Grubbin starting at level 20 and evolves into Vikavolt when leveled up in a special magnetic field (in Generation VII) or when exposed to a Thunder Stone (in Generation VIII). Take a look below for 23 interesting and fun facts about Charjabug.
1. Charjabug is a small, cuboid Pokemon resembling an insect.
2. Its body consists of three square segments.
3. The last two sections have a thin, ring-like marking and a stubby brown leg on each side.
4. Each eye is covered by a blue screen and are only visible when they glow.
5. Two short, yellow spikes extend from the front square: one on each side of its rectangular mouth.
6. The mouth itself is gray and has two jaws that close sideways, shaped like a lightning bolt when open.
7. Charjabug is often found half-buried in earth or leaves, munching on humus.
8. In its body is an electric sac, which it uses to store electricity generated by digesting food.
9. The electricity it stores could run a household for a whole day and can be shared with other Pokémon.
10. As shown in the anime, it can send sound waves to communicate with nearby Grubbin.
11. Charjabug and its evolutionary relatives were designed by Hitoshi Ariga.
12. Charjabug appears to be based on a cocooned bug and a battery.
13. It may also be based on the denkimushi, a caterpillar in Japan that, when touched, can give a sting that is said to feel like an electric shock.
14. In addition, it bears a resemblance to subway cars, which are typically powered by electricity and reflect its habit of living underground. It may be also based on a two-pronged electrical plug.
15. Based on its cry, Charjabug may also be inspired by an accordion.
16. Charjabug may be a combination of charge (as in to charge a battery) or charger and bug.
17. Charjabug debuted in So Long, Sophocles!, where it was caught by Sophocles. Ash first trapped it in a cage and gave it to Sophocles as a farewell present, since he believed he was moving away. Charjabug evolved into a Vikavolt in Evolving Research!.
18. A Shiny Charjabug appeared in Mounting an Electrifying Charge!, under the ownership of Horacio. It took part in the Charjabug race, which it lost after being unable to overcome an icy slope. It reappeared in Evolving Research!, where Horacio planned to evolve his Charjabug. In A High-Speed Awakening!, he was revealed to have successfully evolved Charjabug into a Vikavolt.
19. Multiple Trainers’ Charjabug appeared in Mounting an Electrifying Charge!, where they took part in the Charjabug race. They included those of the Electric Princess, Twin Starmie, and Science Speed teams.
20. A Trainer’s Charjabug appeared in A High-Speed Awakening!.
21. A Trainer’s Charjabug appeared in Exhibition Unmasked!.
22. A Trainer’s Charjabug appeared in From Z to Shining Z!, where it watched the battle between Ash’s Pikachu and Tapu Koko.
23. Moon’s Charjabug first appeared in Truth and the Mastermind Behind Team Skull, evolving sometime after Moon left Aether Paradise.