Peterview is a town located in the Exploits Valley area of central Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, where Peters River empties into the Bay of Exploits, just south of Botwood, off Route 350. Take a look below for 22 interesting and awesome facts about Peterview, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
1. Originally named Peters Arm, the community was incorporated as the Town of Peterview in 1962.
2. The mayor is Jim Samson and the deputy mayor is Pleman Brown.
3. According to the 2001 Statistics Canada census, Peterview has a population of 807 with 266 private dwellings.
4. Peterview has connections to Demasduwit (Mary March), a figure in Newfoundland history and one of the last Beothuk Indians, as John Peyton, one of her captors, built the first house in the area.
5. Among all of the towns in the Central Newfoundland area, Peterview was one of the first to be incorporated. It is a historic site because of its original residents: the Beothuck, who had settled at Wigwam Point.
6. The Beothuck were the first settlers and first residents of Peterview. Their wigwams were set up at Sandy Point, which is now known as Wigwam Point.
7. The Beothuck were seen as savages by the European voyagers because they stole their fish, equipment, and materials, which eventually led to hostility between the two races.
8. Because of this resentment during the 1700s, it was alleged that John Peyton appeared before the reigning government in St. John’s and proposed that the Mi’kmaq tribe (a more war-like people) be brought in from Nova Scotia to kill off the Beothuck, though this claim has been shown not to hold up under close examination.
9. Upon returning to Peterview in 1790, John Peyton built the first home. This started the first real settlement in Dominion Point (now known as Peterview).
10. Between 1790 and 1830, John Peyton and his family worked in the farming and fishing industries. It’s unsure, but there may have been other people living here or coming in from other places to help John Peyton and his family.
11. In 1830, a French lumber mill was built in Dominion Point. Its exact location is unknown, but this mill exported timber to St. John’s where it was used to make paper. It was shipped all the way to St. John’s because it was there that the main port in Newfoundland was located.
12. Over the next two years, the community of Dominion Point began to thrive and the first general store was built. It was owned and operated by Mr. Lewis and Mr. Winsor. The original store records are still in existence, at the Peterview Heritage Museum.
13. In 1862, another French lumber mill was built at the same location where Mrs. Frank Taylor is now living. It was operated by a company from Quebec, and exported lumber to St. John’s by schooner.
14. From 1862 to 1884, no records exist of what happened, but it is known that in 1884, the population of Dominion Point was 32. Over the next six years, the population grew enough that a Prayer House (Barracks) was built in 1910 by the citizens from their own logs.
15. In 1911, the first Salvation Army officer, Lieutenant Sweetapple, was appointed. He also became the first school teacher and taught in the Prayer House, which substituted as a school at that time.
16. Between 1911 and 1940, the population grew enough to support the operation of the first school, under the direction of Envoy R. W. Abbott. The school taught from Kindergarten to Grade 11.
17. In 1951, Dominion Point was renamed Peter’s Arm South, by R. W. Abbott, who happened to be a clergyman, teacher and first chairman of the council.
18. In 1963, the school was burnt down by arsonists and a new structure was built and opened in 1965. This school was permanently closed in June, 1995, as the result of many government cutbacks.
19. In May 1964, a water line was connected from Botwood, and the water was turned on. At the time, it went as far as George Keefe’s, and was completed as far as Herbert Hibbs’ a couple of years later. The road was paved as far as George Keefe’s in 1967 and completed to Wigwam Point a couple of years later. It was completely repaved in 2001.
20. During 1964 and 1965, Peterview’s first Fire Brigade was formed, with the first Chief being Harry Pope.
21. The Town Hall was built through Federal government projects over a period of years, beginning in 1972.
22. On October 23, 1956, the first Community Welfare Committee was set up to take care of the affairs of the community. This was the beginning of the community council.