Raymond is a city in Pacific County, Washington, United States. The population was 2,975 at the 2000 census and decreased 3.1% to 2,882 at the 2010 census. Take a look below for 20 interesting and obscure facts about Raymond, Washington, United States.
1. The town’s economy has traditionally been based on logging and fishing, together with a limited amount of tourism.
2. Raymond was incorporated on August 6, 1907.
3. Raymond was named after L.V. Raymond, who was the first postmaster in Raymond.
4. In the early years, Raymond’s business section was built on stilts five or six feet above the tidelands and sloughs that crisscrossed the site.
5. Elevated sidewalks and streets connected most of the buildings.
6. Raymond claimed a population of 6,000 in the year 1913 and had a reputation as a wild and wooly lumber mill town.
7. City fathers resisted the unwanted reputation with promotions of Raymond as “The Empire City of Willapa Harbor” and “The City That Does Things”. Lyricist Robert Wells, who wrote “The Christmas Song” with Mel Tormé, was born in Raymond in 1922.
8. Raymond was the city where the grunge band Nirvana played their first gig, on March 7, 1987.
9. Raymond saw an influx of cannabis manufacturing and agricultural jobs after the passing of Initiative 502 in November 2012, which legalized the recreational use of marijuana.
10. Raymond has embraced all aspects of this lucrative industry by welcoming many new start-up businesses including commercial marijuana grow operations, marijuana-infused goods manufacturing, as well as retail marijuana stores.
11. Raymond is located at 46°40′47″N 123°44′17″W (46.679599, -123.738091).
12. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.62 square miles (11.97 km2), of which, 4.06 square miles (10.52 km2) is land and 0.56 square miles (1.45 km2) is water.
13. At the 2010 census there were 2,882 people, 1,151 households, and 698 families living in the city. The population density was 709.9 inhabitants per square mile (274.1/km2). There were 1,279 housing units at an average density of 315.0 per square mile (121.6/km2).
14. The racial makeup of the city was 75.9% White, 0.9% African American, 2.5% Native American, 6.8% Asian, 10.1% from other races, and 3.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 16.2%.
15. Of the 1,151 households 29.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.9% were married couples living together, 10.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.4% were non-families. 33.4% of households were one person and 15.2% were one person aged 65 or older.
16. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.10.
17. The median age was 41 years. 23.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.2% were from 25 to 44; 27.5% were from 45 to 64; and 18.4% were 65 or older.
18. The gender makeup of the city was 49.9% male and 50.1% female.
19. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Raymond has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
20. On June 27th 2021, Raymond reached a maximum recorded temperature of 103 degrees Fahrenheit.