Brookings is a city in Curry County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 20 interesting and awesome facts about Brookings, Oregon, United States.
1. It was named after John E. Brookings, president of the Brookings Lumber and Box Company, which founded the city in 1908.
2. As of the 2010 census, the population was 6,336.
3. In 1906, the Brookings Timber Company hired William James Ward, a graduate in civil engineering and forestry, to come to the southern Oregon Coast and survey its lumbering potential.
4. After timber cruising the Chetco and Pistol River areas for several years, he recommended that the Brookings people begin extensive lumbering operations here and secure a townsite for a mill and shipping center.
5. While John E. Brookings was responsible for the founding of Brookings as a company town, it was his cousin, Robert S. Brookings, who was responsible for its actual design.
6. The latter Brookings hired Bernard Maybeck, an architect based in San Francisco who was later involved in the Panama–Pacific International Exposition, to lay out the plat of the townsite.
7. On September 9, 1942, Mount Emily near Brookings became the first site in the mainland United States and the second in the continental territory after the bombing of Dutch Harbor to suffer aerial bombardment during World War II.
8. A Japanese floatplane piloted by Nobuo Fujita was launched from submarine I-25.
9. The plane was armed with incendiary bombs on a mission to start massive fires in the dense forests of the Pacific Northwest.
10. The attack caused only minor damage.
11. Fujita would be invited back to Brookings in 1962, and he presented the town his family’s 400-year-old samurai sword in friendship after the Japanese government was given assurances that he would not be tried as a war criminal.
12. Brookings made him an honorary citizen several days before his death in 1997.
13. Since the 1980s, Brookings has attracted retirees, mostly from California.
14. Senior citizens constitute the majority of the town’s population.
15. It is also home for a number of people who commute to jobs in Del Norte County, California at nearby Pelican Bay State Prison.
16. The total population of the Brookings area is over 13,000, which includes Harbor (a census-designated place), and others. There have been numerous proposals to annex the nearby unincorporated areas into Brookings; while most attempts failed over the years, one large area north of town owned by the U.S. Borax Corp. has succeeded.
17. This development has the potential to add approximately 1,000 homes over the next 20 years, although developers expect many of them to be occupied only seasonally. The unincorporated community to the south of the Chetco River, while included in the Brookings Urban Growth Boundary, has resisted annexation into the City of Brookings.
18. There development has occurred without annexation, as Harbor is independently served by independent fire, water and sewer districts. The City of Brookings offers the only 24/7 police service in Curry County.
19. The current marketing “brand” for the community, through the Brookings-Harbor Chamber of Commerce, is “The Pulse of America’s Wild Rivers Coast”. America’s Wild Rivers Coast is a regional marketing brand for Curry County, Oregon, and Del Norte County, California.
20. The Port of Brookings Harbor was damaged by tidal surges from a tsunami on March 11, 2011.