Talent is a city in Jackson County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 15 fun and awesome facts about Talent, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 6,066 at the 2010 census.
2. A. P. Tallent, an East Tennessee native who settled in Oregon in the 1870s, platted the city in the 1880s.
3. He wanted to name it Wagner but was overruled by postal officials, who preferred Talent, dropping one of the L’s.
4. The post office opened at this location in 1883.
5. Earlier names for the settlement were Eden District and Wagner Creek.
6. On September 8, 2020, roughly a third of Talent, along with neighboring Phoenix and parts of Medford and Ashland, were destroyed by the Almeda Drive Fire.
7. On September 11, 2020, authorities said they were preparing for a mass fatality incident.
8. As of September 11, 600 homes and 100 commercial buildings have been destroyed by the Almeda Drive Fire, but on September 18, that number was updated to 2,800.
9. Officials stated that the Almeda Drive Fire was human-caused.
10. On September 11, a man was arrested for arson, for allegedly starting a fire that destroyed multiple homes in Phoenix and merged with the Almeda Drive Fire.
11. A separate criminal investigation into the origin point of the Almeda Drive Fire in Ashland is ongoing.
12. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.33 square miles (3.44 km2), all of it land.
13. The city is south of Medford, about halfway between Phoenix, to the north, and Ashland, to the south, along Interstate 5 and Oregon Route 99. This is toward the southern end of the Rogue River Valley, near the Siskiyou Mountains and the border with California.
14. Talent Elementary School and Talent Middle School are part of the Phoenix-Talent School District.
15. High school students attend Phoenix High School in Phoenix. This district also includes Phoenix Elementary and Orchard Hill Elementary, in Phoenix and Medford, respectively.