Mill City is a city in Linn and Marion counties in the U.S. state of Oregon on Oregon Route 22. Take a look below for 20 fun and awesome facts about Mill City, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 1,855 at the 2010 census.
2. It is on the North Santiam River, downstream from Detroit Lake.
3. The Linn County portion of Mill City is part of the Albany–Lebanon Micropolitan Statistical Area, while the Marion County portion is part of the Salem Metropolitan Statistical Area.
4. The City of Mill City contracts through The Linn County Sheriff’s Office for local law enforcement, however does have its own Mill City Fire Department and other public works departments.
5. In September 2020, Mill City suffered extensive damage from the Santiam Fire.
6. The city was incorporated in 1941, and serves as the education hub of the Santiam Canyon.
7. It was named and known for its various lumber mills, including Hammond Lumber Company and Santiam Lumber Company.
8. Mill City is now home to two lumber mills, Frank Lumber Co. and Freres Lumber plant 3.
9. One of the oldest and well known landmarks in Mill City is the former railroad bridge, now a pedestrian bridge.
10. The Phoenix Column Bridge, built by Phoenix Iron Works, was manufactured in 1888, moved to San Jose, California, then to Lake Oswego, Oregon then to Mill City and installed 1919.
11. Abandoned by Southern Pacific Railroad around 1967, it is now a pedestrian and bike bridge.
12. Current restoration efforts are being undertaken by the Save our Bridge Foundation.
13. In September 2020, the Beachie Creek Fire swept through the town. Mill City has suffered heavy damage from the fire.
14. The Mill City Logue was published by Al and Arlene Van Dahl from 1926 to 1933. In 1931, they started Western Stamp Collector as a supplement to the Logue. It grew so quickly that in 1933, they closed down the Logue and moved to Albany, Oregon. Al Van Dahl died in 1954. Arlene Van Dahl continued publishing the then semi-weekly, national newspaper until 1976 when she sold it to Jackson Newspapers.
15. From 1998 until 2014, the Mill City Independent Press (formerly known as the Enterprise) covered local news. It was owned by Phil Foster and then by Bill Downer, a former logger and former mayor of Mill City, and his wife Judy Downer.
16. The area is currently served by The Canyon Weekly, started in 2010 by Karen & Tim Widmer and Michelle Gates.
17. Mill City is located at 832 feet above sea level in the Santiam Canyon and considered part of the foothills of the Cascade Range. Shaped by the North Santiam River, the canyon is a result of seasonal glacier melts from the southern face of Mt. Jefferson to the east and many tributaries scattered along the canyon, the largest being the Breitenbush River which meets the Santiam in Detroit, roughly 30 miles (48 km) east of Mill City.
18. The looming canyon walls are the most noticeable feature in passing from Highway 22; however, look more like tall hills on the north and south sides of Mill City. Further into town two bridges allow crossing of the North Santiam River.
19. Mill City is surrounded by forests of evergreen trees. Most notably the Santiam State Forest to the south, forest land is otherwise privately owned, mostly by Weyerhaeuser but also local companies like Frank Lumber and Freres. Douglas fir mostly dominates the forests, but junipers and maple trees are also scattered throughout.
20. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.83 square miles (2.15 km2), all land.