Heart’s Delight-Islington is a town on the south side of Trinity Bay in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, located on Newfoundland and Labrador Route 80. Take a look below for 17 amazing and fun facts about Heart’s Delight-Islington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
1. The Post Office was established in 1954.
2. The first Postmistress was Maggie Chislett.
3. Danielle Seward represented Heart’s Delight-Islington in the Miss Teen Newfoundland & Labrador Pageant in 2007.
4. She was crowned the winner of the pageant that year.
5. The town is located on Route 80 between Cavendish and Heart’s Desire.
6. It is about 15 minutes from the Pitcher’s Pond Golf Course, and 30 minutes from Carbonear in Conception Bay.
7. There are severals stories about the origin of the name “Heart’s Delight.”
8. Another theory says that Heart’s Delight and the communities of Heart’s Desire and Heart’s Content were named after fishing vessels, the Heart’s Delight, the Heart’s Desire and the Heart’s Content, that fished out of the surrounding harbour during the fishery in the 17th and 18th centuries.
9. Heart’s Delight was settled in the late 18th century.
10. The earliest reference to Heart’s Delight in the Trinity parish records is the birth of Elizabeth Wolfrey, daughter of William and Elizabeth, in 1785.
11. The first settler is believed to have been a man named Bryant, and the first official Census in 1836 recorded a population at 167, 165 Protestant Dissenters and two Roman Catholics.
12. In 1887, the population was recorded at 357, which included 60 married couples, 6 widowers, 6 widows, and 4 orphans.
13. The font in the Anglican church was donated by the vicar of Kingskerswell, Devon, England, in about 1893.
14. Construction of two new concrete bridges in the community was undertaken in 1963.
15. Islington, south of Heart’s Delight, was originally called Island Cove, but the name was later changed to Islington after a village in England. Settled around the same time as Heart’s Delight.
16. The town had a population of 249 in 1951 and 663 in the Canada 2006 Census.
17. The town was incorporated in 1972 by amalgamating the formerly independent settlements of Heart’s Delight and Islington.