Lafayette is a city in Yamhill County, Oregon, United States on the Yamhill River and Oregon Route 99W. Take a look below for 15 interesting and awesome facts about Lafayette, Oregon, United States.
1. It was founded in 1846 and incorporated in 1878.
2. The population was 3,742 at the 2010 census.
3. Lafayette was founded in 1846 by pioneer/entrepreneur Joel Perkins, who previously had lived in Lafayette, Indiana and named it similarly for the hero of the American Revolution, Le Marquis de Lafayette (General Lafayette).
4. The post office was established in 1851, and the city was incorporated by the Oregon Legislative Assembly on October 17, 1878.
5. Lafayette was the county seat of Yamhill County from its founding until 1889, when county residents voted to move the county seat to McMinnville.
6. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.90 square miles (2.33 km2), all of it land.
7. It is located on State Highway 99W between McMinnville and Dundee.
8. In 1900 a Yamhill River lock and dam was completed about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) downriver from Lafayette, Oregon.
9. The lock was decommissioned in 1954.
10. The dam was deliberately destroyed in 1963 to allow better passage for salmon on the river.
11. The site of the lock and dam is now a county park.
12. As of the census of 2010, there were 3,742 people, 1,209 households, and 938 families living in the city.
13. The population density was 4,157.8 inhabitants per square mile (1,605.3/km2).
14. There were 1,315 housing units at an average density of 1,461.1 per square mile (564.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 84.6% White, 0.3% African American, 0.9% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 9.8% from other races, and 3.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 22.0% of the population.
15. There were 1,209 households, of which 47.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.2% were married couples living together, 11.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 22.4% were non-families. 15.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 4.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.10 and the average family size was 3.45.