Buellton is a small city in Santa Barbara County, California, United States. Take a look below for 15 amazing and fun facts about Buellton, California, United States.
1. It is located in the Santa Ynez Valley.
2. The population was 4,828 at the 2010 census.
3. With its convenient location at the junction of U.S. Route 101 and State Route 246, Buellton attracts many travelers. It is a town which is home to various hotels, restaurants, parks and shops.
4. It may be most famous for its nickname “Home of Split Pea Soup,” which is a reference to Pea Soup Andersen’s Restaurant.
5. Buellton traces its beginnings to 1867 when a portion of a Mexican land grant was deeded Rufus T. Buell and his brother.
6. They developed a successful cattle ranch in the 19th century.
7. The town is surrounded by miles of open-space land in the Santa Ynez Valley, and borders the Santa Ynez River to the south. It is home to a library, one park, a golf course, fire station, Highway Patrol Office, a shopping plaza, 10 hotels and 18 restaurants.
8. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2), 99.96% of it land and 0.04% of it water.
9. It is a common stop for travelers on U.S. Highway 101, being the first town north of Santa Barbara after the scenic and undeveloped stretch of about 25 miles (40 km) through the Gaviota Coast.
10. Buellton is named for Rufus T. Buell, an early settler who owned the Rancho San Carlos de Jonata Mexican land grant.
11. It is the home of Pea Soup Andersen’s, a major roadside stop and landmark on Route 101 since 1924.
12. It has been a minor tourist destination since the 1920s, and became increasingly popular after the opening of Pea Soup Andersen’s.
13. Buellton has also experienced increased notoriety due to the film Sideways (2004), which was filmed in Buellton and nearby Solvang.
14. Buellton has two schools which form the Buellton Union Elementary School District. Oak Valley Elementary School serves those students in kindergarten through 5th grade while Jonata Middle School serves grades 6 through 8.
15. The district serves approximately 600 students. In 2019, Jonata Middle School was named a California Distinguished School while the Buellton Union Elementary School District was named a California Exemplary District.