Saint-Louis-de-Kent is a Canadian village in Kent County, New Brunswick. Take a look below for 11 interesting and amazing facts about Saint-Louis-de-Kent, New Brunswick, Canada.
1. Often shortened to simply Saint-Louis, the village is situated on the Kouchibouguacis River at the main entrance to Kouchibouguac National Park.
2. It is considered as the birthplace of the Acadian Flag. A local park, parc des forgeron, celebrates the birth of this flag in 1884.
3. Saint-Louis-de-Kent was founded by Joseph Babineau in 1797.
4. L’Académie Saint-Louis was founded in 1874 by Father Marcel-François Richard.
5. The Congregation of Notre-Dame of Montréal founded a convent in 1879.
6. The academy became a college in 1876, but it was closed in 1882 by Bishop James Rogers.
7. Additional facilities included a telephone line between Quebec and Halifax.
8. A religious Grotto and Calvary was erected next to the Kouchibouguacis River between 1878 and 1882, and remains an important Acadian pilgrimage site.
9. It was declared a Heritage Site in 2005.
10. The Saint-Louis Caisse Populaire was founded in 1938.
11. L’École Mgr-Marcel-François-Richard was opened in 1978.