Calipatria (portmanteau of California and Patria, Spanish for “homeland”) is a city in Imperial County, California. Take a look below for 10 interesting and fun facts about Calipatria, California, United States.
1. Calipatria is located 23 miles (37 km) north of El Centro.
2. It is part of the El Centro Metropolitan Area.
3. The population was 7,710 at the 2010 census, up from 7,289 at the 2000 census, including 4000 inmates at Calipatria State Prison.
4. The community is located along State Route 111.
5. Calipatria is located at 33°07′32″N 115°30′51″W.
6. At an elevation of 180 feet (55 m) below sea level, Calipatria is the lowest elevation city in the western hemisphere. The city currently claims to have the “tallest flagpole (184 feet) where the flag flies at sea level” at 184 feet (56 m), so their American flag will always fly above sea level.
7. According to the Guinness Book of World Records the Jeddah Flagpole holds the title of world’s tallest, but it is entirely above sea level.
8. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.7 square miles (9.6 km2), all land.
9. The Imperial Valley Farm Lands Association founded the town as Date City in 1914.
10. The first post office at Calipatria opened in 1914.