Ione is a city in Morrow County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 10 interesting and awesome facts about Ione, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 329 at the 2010 census.
2. It is part of the Pendleton–Hermiston Micropolitan Statistical Area.
3. Ione is at an elevation of 1,089 feet (332 m) between the Columbia River to the north and the Blue Mountains to the southeast.
4. It is along Oregon Route 74, 18 miles (29 km) northwest of Heppner, 27 miles (43 km) south of Interstate 84 (I-84), and 173 miles (278 km) east of Portland.
5. Willow Creek flows through Ione, which is downstream of Heppner and Lexington and upstream of Arlington.
6. In 1883, landowner E. G. Sperry named the community Ione after Ione Arthur, a girl who was visiting the Sperrys with her family.
7. Aaron Royse managed the first store in Ione, and he became the first postmaster when an Ione post office was established in 1884.
8. Sheep ranching was important in the region during the days of early settlement by non-natives.
9. It continues in the 21st century and has been joined by wheat farming and cattle ranching as significant uses of the land.
10. Ione Community Charter School, serving about 200 students in grades kindergarten through 12, is in Ione. Formerly part of the Morrow County School District, the school is in the Ione School District, with headquarters in Ione.