Wheeler is a city in Tillamook County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 10 interesting and amazing facts about Wheeler, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 414 at the 2010 census.
2. It is named after Coleman Wheeler, who opened a sawmill in the town and had a lumber business; Coleman is a great-grandfather of Ted Wheeler, who as of 2020 is mayor of Portland, Oregon.
3. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.52 square miles (1.35 km2), all of it land.
4. In 1900, Coleman Wheeler and others incorporated the Wheeler Lumber Company and the Nehalem Transportation Company.
5. The C.H. Wheeler barge was launched in the same year and sunk, with a loss of life, in 1901.
6. A Tillamook Observer article from September 1913 touts the town’s founding, the riches of the Wheeler Lumber Company, and says the Union Fishermans Cooperative Packing Company was “employing only white labor”.
7. As of the census of 2010, there were 414 people, 197 households, and 97 families living in the city. The population density was 796.2 inhabitants per square mile (307.4/km2). There were 289 housing units at an average density of 555.8 per square mile (214.6/km2).
8. The racial makeup of the city was 96.6% White, 0.2% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 1.2% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.4% of the population.
9. There were 197 households, of which 14.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.0% were married couples living together, 10.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 50.8% were non-families. 40.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.87 and the average family size was 2.40.
10. The median age in the city was 57.4 years. 12.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 3.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 18.6% were from 25 to 44; 34.3% were from 45 to 64; and 31.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.1% male and 53.9% female.