Dixon is a city in northern Solano County, California, United States, located 23 miles (37 km) from the state capital, Sacramento. Take a look below for 10 awesome and fun facts about Dixon, California, United States.
1. The population was 18,351 at the 2010 census.
2. Other nearby cities include Vacaville, Winters and Davis.
3. The first semi-permanent European settlement to develop in the (now) Dixon area emerged during the California Gold Rush of the mid-19th century.
4. During this time, the community of Silveyville was founded as a halfway point between the Pacific coast and the rich gold fields of Sacramento—along a route commonly traveled by miners.
5. In 1868, Central Pacific railroad came through the area and missed Silveyville by a few miles.
6. As a result, local leaders decided to physically relocate Silveyville closer to the tracks in order to enjoy the benefits of commerce and travel.
7. One of the first buildings that still stands in Dixon from the 1871 move is the Dixon Methodist Church located at 209 N. Jefferson Street.
8. Originally, the city was named “Dicksville” after Thomas Dickson who donated 10 acres of his land for the construction of a railroad depot following the completion of the tracks and subsequent relocation of Silveyville to the now-Dixon area.
9. However, when the first rail shipment of merchandise arrived from San Francisco in 1872, it was mistakenly addressed to “Dixon”—a name that has been used since, mainly out of simplicity. Up to now, the urban landscape of the town can be seen to have developed mostly in between the railroad tracks and Interstate-80.
10. The current city council consists of Mayor Steven C. Bird, Vice-Mayor Jim Ernest, City Councilmembers Scott Pederson, Don Hendershot, and Kevin Johnson. Bird, prior to be elected Mayor in November 2020, was on the City Council for 2-previous terms. Pederson is serving a 2nd Term (first elected in 2014) and Ernest who was elected in 2018. Hendershot and Johnson are the newest members to the Dixon City Council, elected in 2020.