John Felix Anthony Cena Jr. is an American professional wrestler, actor, rapper, and television presenter. As a wrestler, he is signed to WWE. As a TV personality, he is the host of Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? on Nickelodeon. Take a look below for 40 more fascinating and interesting facts about John Cena.
1. Cena was born on April 23, 1977, in West Newbury, Massachusetts, to Carol and John Felix Anthony Cena.
2. He is of half Italian descent, and has an older brother (Stephen) and three younger brothers (Dan, Matt, and Sean).
3. His maternal grandfather was baseball player Tony Lupien.
4. Raised Catholic, he attended Central Catholic High School in Lawrence, Massachusetts, before transferring to Cushing Academy, a private prep boarding school in Ashburnham, Massachusetts.
5. He then attended Springfield College in Springfield, Massachusetts.
6. In college, he was a NCAA Division III All-American center on the college football team and wore the number 54, which is still used on some of his WWE merchandise.
7. Cena graduated from Springfield College in 1998 with a degree in exercise physiology and body movement, after which he pursued a career in bodybuilding and worked as a limousine driver.
8. Cena started training to become a professional wrestler in 1999 at Ultimate Pro Wrestling’s (UPW) California-based Ultimate University operated by Rick Bassman.
9. Once he was placed into an in-ring role, Cena began using a semi-robotic character known as The Prototype.
10. Some of this period of his career was documented in the Discovery Channel program Inside Pro Wrestling School.
11. He held the UPW Heavyweight Championship for 27 days in April 2000.
12. Cena wrestled for the UPW until March 2001.
13. On October 10, 2000, while billed as The Prototype, Cena made his unofficial debut for the then World Wrestling Federation (WWF) on a SmackDown taping in a dark match against Mikey Richardson, which he lost.
14. He received another tryout on January 9, 2001, at a SmackDown taping in Oakland, California, this time defeating Aaron Aguilera.
15. Cena wrestled again in a dark match at a SmackDown taping on March 13.
16. Cena resides in Land O’ Lakes, Florida.
17. Cena has said numerous times that he does not want to have children because he does not want to be an absentee parent while he is focused on his career, and has undergone a vasectomy.
18. While promoting his 2009 film 12 Rounds, Cena announced his engagement to Elizabeth Huberdeau.
19. They were married on July 11, 2009.
20. On May 1, 2012, Cena filed for divorce, which was finalized on July 18.
21. Later that year, he began dating fellow wrestler Nikki Bella.
22. They became engaged when Cena proposed to her at WrestleMania 33 on April 2, 2017, but ended their relationship in April 2018.
23. They were scheduled to marry on May 5, 2018.
24. Cena is a fan of Japanese anime and has named Fist of the North Star as his favorite anime movie.
25. He also plays video games, citing the Command & Conquer series as his favorite.
26. Cena supports numerous sports teams from his hometown area such as the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, Boston Red Sox, and New England Patriots, as well as English soccer team Tottenham Hotspur FC.
27. He has over 20 muscle cars, some of which are one-of-a-kind.
28. Cena started learning Mandarin Chinese in 2016 to help WWE expand its reach, and he spoke in Mandarin at a press conference in China.
29. He also revealed in April 2018 that he had learned to play the piano.
30. In December 2017, the Ford Motor Company filed a lawsuit against Cena for selling his 2017 Ford GT, therefore violating his purchase agreement. According to Ford, he signed a contract to keep the car for at least two years but breached the agreement by selling it to make a net profit shortly after receiving it.
31. In July 2018, Cena briefly moved to China, where he settled in Yinchuan.
32. He went on to create a YouTube show on WWE’s channel, highlighting his trips to local stores and markets.
33. He explained that he would be living there for five months while working on a film with Jackie Chan. The shoot concluded in November 2018.
34. In mid-2015, Cena was the subject of the Internet meme “Unexpected John Cena”, also known as simply “Unexpected Cena” or “It’s John Cena”.
35. Cena has granted over 500 wishes for children with life-threatening illnesses through the Make-A-Wish Foundation; the most in Make-A-Wish history.
36. In 2009, Cena received the Chris Greicius Celebrity Award.
37. From late 2011 until WrestleMania XXVIII, Cena wore a black “Rise Above Hate” T-shirt promoting WWE’s “Be a Star” anti-bullying campaign.
38. In September and October 2012, Cena wore pink and black with the phrase “Rise Above Cancer” in partnership with Susan G. Komen for the Cure as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
39. In November 2016, Cena appeared in a public service announcement, “We Are America”, sponsored by the Ad Council as part of its “Love Has No Labels” campaign.
40. Before his professional wrestling career, Cena appeared in an advertisement for Gold’s Gym.