Reshiram is a dual-type Dragon/Fire Legendary Pokémon introduced in Generation V. It is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokémon. Reshiram is the game mascot of Pokémon Black, appearing on the boxart.
Along with Zekrom and Kyurem, it is a member of the Tao trio, which exists in the legends of the Unova region. Reshiram fuses with Kyurem using the DNA Splicers to become White Kyurem. Take a look below for 30 interesting and fun facts about Reshiram.
1. Reshiram is a white colored, bipedal Pokemon with draconic, avian and mammalian traits.
2. A long, voluminous wispy mane streams out from the upper side of the snout and outwards from its head.
3. The top of this mane is adorned with two protrusions, which resemble ears.
4. Reshiram’s face is fringed with spiky features, and it has a small, pointed extension below the chin.
5. Its eyes have blue irises and black pupils.
6. There are two pairs of pointed teeth visible when its mouth is open, one in the upper jaw and one in the lower.
7. Reshiram has a long and slender neck, with a fluffy, collar-like protrusion jutting out of two gray, glass-like neck-bands.
8. Its arms begin slender and arm-like, but then flare out into a more wing-like appearance, sporting four claws which resemble hands on the leading edge.
9. There are plates at the back of Reshiram’s “hands”, that sport a similar color to its neck rings.
10. Reshiram has a feathered or furry feature on its chest, with the lower portion protruding outwards to a point.
11. Long feather-like protrusions jut out of its thighs.
12. On its feet are large gray claws, three at the front and one positioned at the back, resembling high heels.
13. Reshiram’s tail is a mass of plume and ribbon-like extensions, surrounded by two large bands, similar to the ones around its neck.
14. When its emotions surge, it enters Overdrive mode and its tail lights up with a fiery glow.
15. Reshiram has a jet engine-like tail, which it uses to accelerate itself when flying at high speeds.
16. It can send flames from its tail into the air to incinerate everything around it.
17. By flaring its tail, Reshiram is capable of moving the world’s atmosphere and changing the weather.
18. This tail generator is also activated when influenced by either Fusion Bolt or Bolt Strike, which in turn powers up Reshiram’s own Fusion Flare or Blue Flare.
19. In Unova mythology, Reshiram sided with the older brother who sought the truth.
20. As a result, it firmly believes in truth.
21. In games prior to Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Reshiram has a catch rate of 45. This is likely due to Reshiram being a required capture during the storyline of Pokémon Black and White.
22. Reshiram was first revealed simultaneously alongside Zekrom on both the official English and Japanese Pokémon websites on May 28, 2010. This makes them the first two Pokémon simultaneously revealed worldwide.
23. Reshiram, as well as Zekrom, made an appearance alongside Pikachu and a Poké Ball in 2010’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
24. Reshiram appears in Pokémon Battle Chess. Alongside Zekrom, the player must lose a specific number of pieces (four in Reshiram’s case) to use it, and it takes four spaces on the board.
25. Reshiram and its counterpart Zekrom are based on the concept of yin and yang in Taoism, directly referenced by Reshiram’s Japanese species: the White Yang Pokémon. According to Ken Sugimori, Reshiram has a light, airy, feminine design to contrast to Zekrom’s tough and masculine design. While the white design matches Reshiram’s yang species names (yang being characterized by light), its feminine design contrasts with yang (yang being characterized as masculine).
26. In both versions of the fourteenth movie, however, Reshiram speaks with a distinctly male voice. Reshiram’s tail, the center point of its design, is based on an electric turbine. Additionally, Reshiram has a more feathery, natural appearance contrasting with Zekrom’s industrial appearance.
27. Appearance-wise, it resembles a wyvern with characteristics of other animals, such as birds, pterosaurs, and canines. The crest on its head and its feathers resemble smoke trails, as well as white fire, which can burn up to temperatures of 1,500 °C (2,730 °F). The mythology about how Zekrom and Reshiram came about, regarding two brothers infighting, also bears some similarities to Romulus and Remus or Cain and Abel.
28. There is also some resemblance to the Zoroastrian belief of two equally powerful deities, one representing light and truth, and the other representing lies and darkness. In this case, Reshiram can resemble Ahura Mazda, due to its light and winged appearance, and the fact that it sided with truth, but also the fact that Reshiram is a Fire-type Pokémon, and Ahura Mazda was associated with fire. Reshiram’s association with fire may also be a reference to how dragons are associated with fire in Western folklore.
29. Reshiram is derived from 白 shiro (white). Ken Sugimori has also stated that Re was used because it was a softer sound than Zekrom’s Ze, as Reshiram is a less physically powerful character.
30. Reshiram appeared in White—Victini and Zekrom and Black—Victini and Reshiram. In the former, it is controlled by Damon, while in the latter, it is controlled by Ash. Along with Zekrom, Reshiram can speak through telepathy.