Amber Leann Portwood is an American reality television personality. From Anderson, Indiana, she received public attention after being cast in the reality television series “16 and Pregnant” in 2009, which documented the pregnancies and first months of motherhood for several teenage girls. Take a look below for 28 more awesome and interesting facts about Amber Portwood.
1. In 2009, she was cast in the spin-off series “Teen Mom,” and appeared in each of its four seasons until conclusion in 2012.
2. In March 2015, Portwood, along with Maci Mckinney, Catelynn Baltierra, and Farrah Abraham, returned to MTV for the fifth season of the show, renamed “Teen Mom OG.”
3. Portwood was born in Anderson, Indiana, on May 14, 1990, to parents Tonya Portwood and Shawn Portwood Senior.
4. Portwood has an older brother, Shawn Portwood Junior.
5. Portwood became pregnant with her first child with then-boyfriend, Gary Shirley, and gave birth to their daughter, Leah Leann Shirley, on November 12, 2008.
6. Though Portwood and Shirley became engaged, they ultimately separated.
7. Shirley was granted full custody of their daughter in December, 2011.
8. In 2014, Portwood met Matt Baier, an unemployed former radio DJ, via Twitter.
9. The pair became engaged the following year, however, after multiple postponements of their wedding, Portwood and Baier split in June, 2017.
10. As of 2017, she is dating Andrew Glennon, whom she met while filming “Marriage Boot Camp.”
11. Amber gave birth to her second child, a son named James Andrew Glennon on May 8, 2018.
12. Portwood revealed on a 2017 episode of “Teen Mom OG” that she has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder.
13. MTV aired footage of Portwood’s violent behavior towards her child’s father Gary Shirley, including an assault in which Shirley refused to physically defend himself, prompting an investigation from both the police department of Anderson, Indiana, and that city’s branch of the state Child Protective Services.
14. Police searched Portwood’s apartment, finding, “evidence that requires further investigation,” but would not specify what had been found at the time.
15. It was later revealed that Portwood had been caught with a large quantity of marijuana and crack cocaine.
16. On November 3, 2010, it was reported that Portwood agreed to allow Indiana CPS to monitor her for up to six months in exchange for CPS’s allowing her to maintain custody of Leah.
17. On November 18, after an extensive investigation, Portwood was charged with three counts of domestic violence, two of them felonies, in connection with separate incidents of on-camera abuse of Shirley.
18. The same day, MTV released a statement concerning the charges filed on Portwood: “We are cooperating with all parties and hope for a quick and fair resolution that allows everyone involved to move forward in a positive manner.”
19. In December 2011, Portwood was arrested for the Class D felony of possession of a controlled substance and was later charged with violating her probation on her earlier domestic-violence charges by breaching conditions including behaving well in society, obtaining a GED certificate, completing six months of anger-management training, paying her probation fees, and setting up a $10,000 college fund for Leah.
20. She was held without bond in Madison County Jail until her January 27, 2012, hearing on both charges.
21. On February 6, Portwood was given a five year suspended sentence with the provision that all charges would be dropped if she went to and completed rehab.
22. In March 2012, Portwood failed to take a required drug test, violating the associated condition of her suspended sentence and putting herself in jeopardy of having the five year suspended sentence reimposed.
23. Portwood subsequently dropped out of her rehabilitation program and was charged with a third violation of her probation.
24. In June 2012, the court reimposed Portwood’s five year sentence in its entirety.
25. On June 13, 2012, Portwood began serving her five year sentence, during which she was expected to attend substance abuse classes and earn her GED.
26. On December 20, 2013, Portwood made an appearance on the talk show “Dr. Phil.” She revealed that she has been released from jail early due to good behavior and now has her GED.
27. Portwood revealed that she was high on prescription and illegal medication for most episodes of “Teen Mom” and that she is sober with no intent of ever using again.
28. Portwood is working on obtaining a joint custody agreement with her ex-boyfriend Gary Shirley and is trying to focus on being a good mom to her daughter.