Jason Bourne is a 2016 American action thriller movie directed by Paul Greengrass and written by Greengrass and Christopher Rouse. It’s the fifth installment of the Bourne film series and a direct sequel to The Bourne Ultimatum. Matt Damon reprises his role as the main character, former CIA assassin and psychogenic amnesiac Jason Bourne, following his absence in the previous installment The Bourne Legacy. Take a look below for 27 more fun and interesting facts about Jason Bourne.
1. Apart from Matt Damon, the movie stars Tommy Lee Jones, Alicia Vikander, Julia Stiles, Vincent Cassel, Riz Ahmed, Ato Essandoh and Scott Shepherd.
2. The character Aaron Cross, from The Bourne Legacy, doesn’t appear in Jason Bourne because director Paul Greengrass wanted to focus on the titular character, and because actor Jeremy Renner was unable to participate due to scheduling conflicts.
3. In the movie, Bourne remains on the run from the CIA hit squads as he tried to uncover hidden truths about his father. CIA director Robert Dewey orders the CIA head of cyber-security Heather Lee to hunt him down.
4. The movie was a box office success, grossing $415 million worldwide.
5. The Las Vegas car chase sequence took five weeks to shoot and at the end, the sequence wrecked 170 cars.
6. Since part of the story takes place in Athens, Greece, the producers asked the Greek Government for permission to shoot the movie in the actual location. However, due to high taxes and bureaucracy, this never happened. Tenerife, in the Canary Islands, doubles as Athens in the movie.
7. Matt Damon has stated numerous times that he would only return to the Bourne series to reprise his role as Jason Bourne if Paul Greengrass would return for directorial duties on the project.
8. City officials and the producers reached an agreement to only shoot the Las Vegas car chase sequence from midnight to sunrise.
9. Matt Damon admitted that physically training for the role of Bourne was much harder in his forties, and he had to keep to a very strict diet to maintain his physique during filming.
10. Matt Damon and Julia Stiles are the only actor and actress from the original trilogy to reprise their roles as Jason Bourne and Nicky Parsons, respectively. While David Strathairn, Joan Allen, and Edward Norton’s characters are still living when we last see them, they’re never spoken of, or referenced.
11. Jason Bourne is the first Bourne movie that Tony Gilroy wasn’t involved in.
12. The movie shows us that David Webb was previously a Captain in the U.S. Army 1st Special Forces Delta, otherwise known as the Delta Force.
13. At the 2015 Golden Globes, Matt Damn won for Best Actor for The Martian. He gave his speech and after receiving the award, he had to take a flight immediately to film Jason Bourne in Las Vegas.
14. Many pieces of footage and dialogue in the trailers don’t appear in the final movie or alternative takes were used. Notable examples are: The final film uses a different take of Bourne’s one punch knockout. Nicky doesn’t say, “Just because you remember everything doesn’t mean you know everything.” New character Craig Jeffers doesn’t say, “Oh my god, that’s Jason Bourne.”
15. Alicia Vikander was offered the role of Heather at the same time as being offered the role of Sofia in Assassin’s Creed. She took the former, due to the fan factor, as she admitted to being a fan of the series, while the role of Sofia was taken by Marion Cotillard.
16. In addition to reprising his role as Jason Bourne, Matt Damon also served as a producer and worked on the basic storyline with Paul Greengrass and Christopher Rouse. However, he was unable to actively contribute to the screenplay due to other acting commitments.
17. When Nikki goes to Reykjavik to visit the hackers hideout, an old 1980s Atari ST computer is visible next to where she sets up her laptop.
18. Jason Bourne is the first Bourne movie to not have the title format of, “The Bourne ___”.
19. The Deep Dream campus, shown in the movie, is a digitally modified version of Facebook’s headquarters in Menlo Park, California. Although the exterior is heavily modified, an unaltered shot of Building 20 can be seen in the right of the shot.
20. The movie cast includes three Oscar winners: Matt Damon, Tommy Lee Jones and Alicia Vikander.
21. Both Matt Damon and Vincent Cassel were rivals in the Ocean’s 11 Series – Ocean’s 12 and Ocean’s 13.
22. The trailer for Jason Bourne premiered during Super Bowl 50.
23. Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass return to the series for the first time since The Bourne Ultimatum.
24. The scene where Bourne checks the locker in a train station, was filmed at Woolwich DLR station in Woolwich, London.
25. The room number that the hotel in Las Vegas gives Lee when she arrives is 2016, which is the year that the movie was released.
26. Jason Bourne doesn’t speak until 20 minutes into the movie.
27. For the chase scene on the Las Vegas strip, the recently closed Riviera Hotel and Casino had all of its lights and signs lit up to appear in the SWAT truck crash scene.