Tomb Raider is a 2018 action adventure movie directed by Roar Uthaug with a screenplay by Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Alastair Siddons, from a story by Evan Daugherty and Robertson-Dworet. The movie is based on the 2013 video game of the same name, with some elements of its sequel by Crystal Dynamics, and is a reboot of the Tomb Raider movie series. Take a look below for 27 more fun and fascinating facts about Tomb Raider.
1. The movie stars Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft, in which she embarks on a perilous journey to her father’s last-known destination, hoping to solve the mystery of his disappearance.
2. This is the first Tomb Raider movie not to be distributed by Paramount Pictures.
3. Alicia Vikander put on a lot of muscle to play Lara Croft, as she wanted the character to be as realistic as possible. She also did her own stunts.
4. Alicia Vikander was a fan of the video game series growing up.
5. In March 2013, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer announced that they acquired the rights to the Tomb Raider video game from Paramount Pictures, who let their movie rights to the video game series expire after Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life failed to find audiences.
6. Daisy Ridley, Emilia Clarke, Saoirse Ronan and Cara Delevingne were the frontrunners for Lara Croft before Alicia Vikander was cast.
7. Duncan Airlie James, who plays Lara Croft’s trainer Terry, is a former 6 time world Thai and Kickboxing champion and K-1 fighter.
8. Daisy Ridley had turned down the role of Lara Croft due to her commitment on Star Wars: Episode IX.
9. Emily Carey, who plays young Lara Croft, is the same actress who played young Diana in Wonder Woman.
10. Alicia Vikander is the second actress to portray Lara Croft in a movie, and she’s the second Oscar winning actress to do so after Angelina Jolie.
11. Tomb Raider marks the second time that Dominic West plays Alicia Vikander’s father after Testament of Youth in 2014.
12. Junkie XL left Justice League to work on music for Tomb Raider.
13. As of 2018, Tomb Raider is the highest rated video game adaption ever on Rotten Tomatoes.
14. The day the movie was released, Square Enix released the first trailer for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the second sequel to Tomb Raider, which was the basis for the movie.
15. Olivia Wilde was rumored to be taking the role of Lara Croft, but she denied it.
16. In one of the trailers released for the movie, Lara Croft is seen buying two Heckler and Koch USP Match handguns and saying, “I’ll take two.” In the Lara Croft movies starring Angelina Jolie, Lara wields the same weapons in both movies.
17. Alicia Vikander beat out her Tulip Fever co-star Cara Delevingne for the role of Lara Croft.
18. Walton Goggins called the plot, “Raiders of the Lost Ark meets a genre version of the Joseph Conrad novel Victory: An Island Tale.”
19. Alicia Vikander was 29 years old when Tomb Raider was released in U.S. theaters. Angelina Jolie was 26 when Lara Croft: Tomb Raider was theatrically released.
20. Kathryn Bigelow, Mimi Leder and Catherine Hardwicke were considered to direct the movie.
21. Alicia Vikander is married to Michael Fassbender, who also starred in the video game adaption of Assassin’s Creed.
22. After Lara Croft sets out to return to the camp, she picks up a recurve bow and arrows from her father’s cave. This is the only bow she’s seen using in the movie, however, it’s the second of four bows she uses in the 2013 video game.
23. After the release of Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, Angelina Jolie announced that she didn’t want to do another movie as the iconic video game character, hence the reboot of the franchise. However, in late 2013, there were rumors that Angelina Jolie wanted to come back as Lara Croft, but the rumor was false.
24. Kristen Stewart was offered the lead role but she turned it down.
25. Daniel Wu is the second Hong Kong movie actor to star in an adaption of Tomb Raider after Simon Yam in Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.
26. At the end of the movie, they show that The Order of Trinity is based in Norway and Sweden. Director Roar Uthaug is Norwegian and actress Alicia Vikander is Swedish.
27. After escaping Vogel and landing from the parachute, Lara Croft is impaled by a stick through her side. This injury is the same injury that she suffers in the opening of the 2013 video game, and serves as a key plot element for the opening chapters.