Rowlet is a dual-type Grass/Flying Pokémon introduced in Generation VII. It evolves into Dartrix starting at level 17, which evolves into Decidueye starting at level 34.
Along with Litten and Popplio, Rowlet is one of three starter Pokémon of Alola available at the beginning of Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon. Along with Litten and Popplio, it was the second Generation VII Pokémon to be revealed to the public on May 10, 2016. Take a look below for 25 interesting and awesome facts about Rowlet.
1. Rowlet is a small, avian Pokemon resembling a young owl with a round body and short legs.
2. Its plumage is primarily beige with a white underside and facial disc.
3. The facial disc itself is in the shape of two overlapping circles.
4. It has large black eyes and a stubby beak.
5. The top part of its beak is white, while the lower half is an orange-brown.
6. Its feet have two forward-facing toes and one backward facing toe; they are the same color as the lower half of its beak.
7. Two leaves sprout from its chest, arranged to resemble a bowtie.
8. Additional leaves form its tail and line the undersides of its wings.
9. A nocturnal Pokémon, it stores energy during the day through photosynthesis.
10. It approaches opponents by silently gliding, before unleashing a volley of kicks.
11. This Pokémon is able to rotate its head almost 180 degrees, and has excellent night vision.
12. Its feathers are as sharp as blades, which it launches at foes from the air.
13. Rowlet feel most relaxed in tight, dark spaces.
14. Rowlet is the only starter Pokémon that is a member of the Flying Egg Group.
15. Rowlet is the only grass-type starter Pokémon to not be listed as green.
16. Rowlet is the only dual-type starter Pokémon whose final evolution has a different type combination.
17. Rowlet has the highest base HP stat of all unevolved starter Pokémon.
18. Rowlet’s Japanese name and its romanization were revealed in a tweet of their trademark on April 17, 2016.
19. Rowlet is based on an owl, sharing the most similarities with members of the Tytonidae family — species collectively known as “barn owls” that have heart-shaped faces and dark eyes. In particular, it closely resembles the common barn owl, which was introduced to Hawaii.
20. Alternatively, it may be inspired by the Eastern grass owl or the African grass owl, along with the local pueo owl that is known for flying over grassy areas on the Hawaiian Islands, hence its Grass typing.
21. Rowlet may be a combination of root, round, or arrow, and owlet.
22. Ash caught a Rowlet in First Catch in Alola, Ketchum-Style!, which also marked the species’ debut. It has a naive and relaxed personality, and is rather inexperienced.
23. A Rowlet briefly appeared alongside a Litten and Popplio in I Choose You!.
24. A Trainer’s Rowlet appeared in From Z to Shining Z!, where it watched the battle between Ash’s Pikachu and Tapu Koko.
25. Moon once owned a Rowlet that first appeared in The Delivery of Rotom and the Girl. Professor Kukui allowed Moon to keep Rowlet after seeing how close the two had become after their first encounter. Prior to PASM26 he evolved into Dartrix and then later evolved into a Decidueye.