Jason Michael Lee is an American actor, comedian, photographer, producer, skateboarder and writer. He is best known for his role as Earl Hickey in the television comedy series My Name Is Earl, for which he was nominated for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy TV series in 2005 and 2006 by The Golden Globe. Take a look below for 25 more fun and fascinating facts about Jason Lee.
1. Lee was born in Santa Ana, California on April 25, 1970.
2. His father, Greg, was a car dealership manager and his mother, Carol, a homemaker.
3. Lee was raised in Huntington Beach and attended Ocean View High School.
4. Before he became an actor, Lee was known as a professional skateboarder in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
5. In 1992, he founded Stereo Sound Agency, known as Stereo Skateboards, with fellow skater Chris “Dune” Pastras.
6. In 2003, after it had been defunct for a few years, the pair successfully revived the company.
7. As of October 2013, Lee and Pastras remain on the professional “Classics” team roster.
8. Lee was featured in the skateboarding promotional video, Video Days, filmed for the skateboarding company “Blind Skateboards”.
9. In 2004, Lee’s skateboarding was featured in Way Out East!, a film produced by Stereo Skateboards.
10. In August 2012, Lee was also featured in a brief video on the skateboard website The Berrics entitled “Jason Lee decided to come to the park.”
11. In August 2012, Lee participated in the ninth annual Stand-Up for Skateparks Event, which he chaired with Tony Hawk.
12. In October that same year, a video was released by the Keep A Breast Foundation, featuring various skateboarding identities, including Lee, together with Pastras.
13. Lee later worked with Tony Hawk when he lent his voice and likeness to Tony Hawk’s Project 8 to become a playable character.
14. Lee then voiced Coach Frank, a character created during the development of Stereo, in Skate 3.
15. Professional skateboarder and owner of the Girl and Lakai Limited Footwear skateboard brands Mike Carroll has cited Lee as one of his skating influences.
16. His first major movie role was in Kevin Smith’s Mallrats, which became a cult hit.
17. Lee began shooting photos regularly in the early 2000s, and became interested in instant photography.
18. He released a photo book through Refueled Magazine. It consists of “184 pages of Polaroid & Fuji Instant Film photographs from 2006-2016.” Printed in a limited edition run of 500 copies, the book sold out before shipping began.
19. Lee married actress and photographer Carmen Llywelyn in 1995; they divorced in 2001.
20. Llywelyn later cited Lee’s commitment to Scientology as the principal cause for their separation.
21. Following his divorce from Llywelyn, Lee became engaged to actress Beth Riesgraf.
22. They have a son, Pilot Inspektor. Lee states their son’s name was inspired by “He’s Simple, He’s Dumb, He’s the Pilot.” by rock band Grandaddy.
23. Lee married Ceren Alkaç in California in July 2008; a month later, Alkaç gave birth to a daughter named Casper.
24. The couple had their second child, a son named Sonny, in 2012.
25. In 2017, the couple welcomed their third child, a daughter named Alberta ‘Birdy’ Lee.