Cosmopolis is a city in Grays Harbor County, Washington, United States. The population was 1,649 at the 2010 census. Take a look below for 15 interesting and awesome facts about Cosmopolis, Washington, United States.
1. Cosmopolis is located at 46°57′19″N 123°46′23″W (46.955352, -123.773176).
2. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.52 square miles (3.94 km2), of which, 1.33 square miles (3.44 km2) is land and 0.19 square miles (0.49 km2) is water.
3. This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F.
4. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Cosmopolis has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
5. As of the census of 2010, there were 1,649 people, 677 households, and 463 families living in the city.
6. The population density was 1,239.8 inhabitants per square mile (478.7/km2).
7. There were 714 housing units at an average density of 536.8 per square mile (207.3/km2).
8. The racial makeup of the city was 88.5% White, 0.1% African American, 1.6% Native American, 3.0% Asian, 0.3% Pacific Islander, 3.6% from other races, and 2.9% from two or more races.
9. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.1% of the population.
10. There were 677 households, of which 31.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.4% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 31.6% were non-families.
11. 24.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.
12. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.87.
13. The median age in the city was 41.5 years. 22.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.9% were from 25 to 44; 28.9% were from 45 to 64; and 16.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.9% male and 51.1% female.
14. In 2006, the Weyerhaueser pulp mill in Cosmopolis shut down, costing the local community 245 jobs. Previously, in late 2005, the Weyerhaueser large-log saw mill in Aberdeen closed, losing 95 jobs. In the late 2000s a biodiesel facility was being planned, but nothing has come of it, and it appears to be a dead idea.
15. In late 2010, the mill was purchased by the Gores Group and renamed Cosmo Specialty Fibers, which manufactures specialty pulps and exports much of the product to Asia via the deepwater port in Aberdeen.