May is the fifth month of the year in Julian and Gregorian calendars, has 31 days and is a month of spring. Take a look below for 14 interesting and awesome facts about May.
1. May is believed to have named after the Greek goddess of fertility known as Maia. Ovid, the Roman poet, however, believed that May was named for the maiores (the elderly) and June for the iuniores (the youth).
2. More UK prime ministers have been born in May than in any other month… Nine, in case you were wondering!
3. In England and Wales, the 576th most popular name given to a girl was May.
4. 4th of May (or rather May the Fourth (May the force be with you)) is commonly known as Star Wars day. Star Wars fans use this as an excuse to rewatch the movies.
5. Bob Dylan, John F Kennedy and Adele are some of the famous people that are born in the month of May.
6. People born between the 1st and 20th of May are Taurus and are known as smart, trustworthy and ambitious. People who are born on the 21st and after are Gemini, who are believed to be more dynamic and passionate.
7. Research conducted by the University of Columbia has shown that people who are born in May have a lower risk of acquiring respiratory, neurological, cardiovascular and reproductive diseases.
8. There is a cheese rolling contest to celebrate May Day in the town of Stilton.
9. The traditional flower of May is known as Lily of the Valley.
10. There are many holidays besides Star Wars Day in the month of May. These include International Hamburger Day and Dance Like A Chicken Day.
11. Emerald is the birthstone associated with May. This signifies youth and rebirth and is primarily mined in countries such as Brazil, Zambia, Colombia and Afghanistan.
12. Although May is the fifth month of the year, it was the third month in early Roman calendars.
13. In the UK, there are 2 bank holidays in May. May Day is usually celebrated on the first Monday in May (although confusingly in 2020 it is on Friday the 8th May). The latter bank holiday, Spring Bank Holiday is the last Monday in the month.
14. Morris Dancing is seen as a traditional dance during the month of May. Its a form of folk dancing performed by groups of men or women.