Brigus is a small fishing community located in Conception Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Take a look below for 11 interesting and fascinating facts about Brigus, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
1. Brigus was home to Captain Bob Bartlett and the location of his residence Hawthorne Cottage.
2. Incorporated in July 1964, Brigus’ first Mayor was Fred Bartlett.
3. The present Mayor is Byron Rodway. Rev. R. Wells was the first Clergy Mayor elected in the Province.
4. Located in a sheltered bay it has been home to many fishermen and a strategic location in early times.
5. Brigus is located adjacent to Cuper’s Cove (modern day Cupids) an English settlement established in 1610 by John Guy on behalf of Bristol’s Society of Merchant Venturers.
6. Brigus is located approximately 80 km west of St. John’s, and is accessible via Route 70-A just 18 km from the Trans Canada Highway (TCH).
7. The name Brigus comes from the Brickhouse which was the name of an old town in England.
8. Brigus’ history dates back to around 1612, when John Guy sold half of the Harbour to the Spracklin family. At this time Brigus was mostly settled by people from England, Ireland, and Wales. During King William’s War, this village was raided in the Avalon Peninsula Campaign.
9. Brigus is famous for its sea Captains, it was in 1819 when Captain William Munden built the schooner Four Brothers, the first one hundred ton schooner in Newfoundland (built 1819).
10. Brigus is a popular tourist stop, renowned for its scenic qualities and places of interest.
11. Among these are the site of The Vindicator, where the Brigus newspaper was printed at the turn of the 20th century; the Convent of Mercy, built in 1860 for the Mercy Sisters who came from Ireland in 1861; the local Orange Lodge; Hawthorne Cottage National Historic Site; “The Tunnel” bored through solid rock on the waterfront in 1860 to provide access to a deep water berth for the Bartlett sailing ships; the Stone Barn Museum; Jubilee Club, the meeting place of the “Merchant Princes of Brigus” from the late 19th century to the mid-20th century; St. George’ s Anglican Church, consecrated in 1845; Brigus United Church, dedicated in 1875 on the site of an earlier church; and the Roman Catholic Church, built in 1832.