Garibaldi is a city in Tillamook County, in the U.S. state of Oregon. Take a look below for 10 amazing and awesome facts about Garibaldi, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 797 at the 2020 census.
2. The indigenous Tillamook people have lived along the Oregon coast –including the Tillamook Bay– for about twelve thousand years; from Tillamook Head in the North, to Cape Foulweather in the south, and extending inland to the summit of the Oregon Coast Range.
3. They lived in permanent cedar-plank lodges, illuminated at night with torches or by burning fish heads or whale oil. Their diet included salmon, mussels, lampreys, berries, wild mustard, camas, grouse, beaver, deer, and elk.
4. Captain Robert Gray, born in Rhode Island and sailing from Boston, sailed the Lady Washington into Tillamook Bay in 1788, where his crew fought with the Tillamook people.
5. The Lewis and Clark expedition recorded in 1806 that 2400 Tillamook people resided on Oregon’s coast.
6. As the white settler population increased, indigenous people suffered from newly introduced diseases including smallpox. By 1930 only 22 indigenous people remained in all of Tillamook County.[
7. Daniel Bayley was the first white property owner on this part of Tillamook Bay, having first settled here after the Civil War. Bayley was one of the first white settlers who arrived in Tillamook Bay’s northern end area.
8. Bayley built a hotel and general store on what is now known as Bay Lane. In 1867, Bayley subdivided the Bayley Park Addition and was officially granted title to the property on May 15, 1869, by President Ulysses S. Grant. In 1870, he was appointed by President Grant as the area’s first postmaster and given the duty of naming the postmark.
9. This same year, Giuseppe Garibaldi helped unify Italy after a military career devoted to establishing democracy around the world and Bayley felt so inclined to name the post office after his hero.
10. Starting in the 1870s, the region’s indigenous people were relocated to the nearby Hobsonville Indian Community. By the 1930s, this community was composed mostly of elderly women and children, and given the nickname “Squawtown”. Tourists and antiquities dealers would visit, and the local Ku Klux Klan occasionally harassed the residents. The community was abandoned by WWII, and some residents moved to Garibaldi.