Elliston is an incorporated fishing settlement situated on the Bonavista Peninsula of Newfoundland, Canada. Take a look below for 5 fun and amazing facts about Elliston, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
1. Incorporated in 1965, the town of Elliston was once called Bird Island Cove and it is composed of a number of communities, North Side, Noder Cover, Elliston Centre, Elliston Point, Porter’s Point, Sandy Cove, The Neck and Maberly.
2. Elliston is known as the Root Cellar Capital of the world and has claimed that title from the 135 root cellars that exist in the community.
3. Elliston was renamed from Bird Island Cove by Reverend Charles Lench to honour the first Methodist Missionary, Reverend William Ellis, to this community.
4. The name Bird Island Cove was used since the early 17th century and it gets its name from two small islands, North and South Bird Island, that lie off the south entrance of this cove.
5. In 2013, parts of the movie The Grand Seduction were filmed at Elliston.