Carlo Irwin Estevez, known professionally as Charlie Sheen, is an American actor. Sheen has appeared in films including “Platoon”, “Wall Street,” “Young Guns,” “Eight Men Out,” “Major League,” “Hot Shots!” and “The Three Musketeers.” Sheen’s personal life has made headlines, including reports of alcohol and drug abuse and marital problems, as well as allegations of domestic violence. Take a look below for 31 more awesome and fascinating facts about Charlie Sheen.
1. Sheen was born on September 3, 1965, in New York City, the youngest son of actor Martin Sheen and artist Janet Templeton.
2. His paternal grandparents were emigrants from Spain and Ireland, respectively.
3. His father is a “devout Catholic” and his mother is a “strict Southern Baptist”.
4. Sheen claimed his mother is Jewish.
5. Sheen has two older brothers, Emilio and Ramon, and a younger sister, Renée, all actors.
6. His parents moved to Malibu, California, after Martin’s Broadway turn in “The Subject Was Roses.”
7. Sheen’s first movie appearance was at age nine in his father’s 1974 film “The Execution of Private Slovik.”
8. Sheen attended Santa Monica High School in Santa Monica, California, along with Robert Downey Jr., where he was a star pitcher and shortstop for the baseball team.
9. At Santa Monica High School, he showed an early interest in acting, making amateur Super 8 films with his brother Emilio and school friends Rob Lowe and Sean Penn under his birth name.
10. A few weeks before graduation, Sheen was expelled from school for poor grades and attendance.
11. Deciding to become an actor, he took the stage name Charlie Sheen.
12. His father had adopted the surname Sheen in honor of the Catholic archbishop and theologian Fulton J. Sheen, while Charlie was an English form of his given name Carlos.
13. Sheen’s film career began in 1984 with a role in the Cold War teen drama “Red Dawn” with Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson, and Jennifer Grey.
14. In 1990, he starred alongside his father in “Cadence” as a rebellious inmate in a military stockade and with Clint Eastwood in the buddy cop film “The Rookie.”
15. Sheen appeared in several comedy roles, including the “Major League” films, “Money Talks,” and the spoof “Hot Shots!” films.
16. In 2012, Sheen was cast to star alongside Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray in Roman Coppola’s surreal comedy film “A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III.”
17. In 2003, Sheen was cast as Charlie Harper in the CBS sitcom “Two and a Half Men,” which followed the popular Monday night time slot of “Everybody Loves Raymond.”
18. On September 19, 2011, Sheen was roasted on Comedy Central. It was watched by 6.4 million people, making it the highest rated roast on Comedy Central to date.
19. In October 2018 Sheen flew to Australia for his “An Evening With Charlie Sheen” tour. During this time he filmed an advert for car servicing company Ultra Tune which is the next installment in their controversial “Unexpected Situations” series alongside Parnia Porsche, Laura Lydall, Tyana Hansen and Imogen Lovell.
20. In 2006, Sheen launched a clothing line for children, called Sheen Kidz.
21. In 2011, Sheen set a Guinness World Record for Twitter as the “Fastest Time to Reach 1 Million Followers” (adding an average of 129,000 new followers per day) as well as the Guinness record for “Highest Paid TV Actor Per Episode – Current” at $1.25 million while he was a part of the cast of “Two and a Half Men” sitcom.
22. On March 10, 2011, Sheen announced a nationwide tour, “My Violent Torpedo of Truth/Defeat is Not An Option”, which began in Detroit on April 2. The tour sold out in 18 minutes, a Ticketmaster record.
23. Sheen was announced as the face of and partner in “NicoSheen”, a line of disposable E-cigarettes and related products.
24. On August 13, 2011, Sheen hosted at the 12th annual Gathering of the Juggalos, an event created by the Insane Clown Posse.
25. Sheen has been married three times. He has five children and one grandchild.
26. His oldest daughter is from a previous relationship with his former high school girlfriend, Paula Profit, whose name has also been given as Paula Speert.
27. In January 1990, Sheen accidentally shot his fiancée, Kelly Preston, in the arm. She broke off the engagement soon after.
28. In the 1990s, Sheen subsequently dated a number of adult film actresses, including Ginger Lynn and Heather Hunter.
29. On September 3, 1995, Sheen married his first wife, Donna Peele. That same year, Sheen was named as one of the clients of an escort agency operated by Heidi Fleiss.
30. On May 20, 1998, Sheen suffered a stroke after overdosing while using cocaine and was hospitalized. Sheen was found in his seaside home by a friend, after which paramedics had to give emergency life-saving treatment and rushed him to Las Robles hospital.
31. On November 17, 2015, Sheen publicly revealed that he was HIV positive, having been diagnosed roughly four years earlier.