Nathan Drake is the main protagonist of the Uncharted video game series that was developed by Naughty Dog. He’s presented as a charismatic yet rebellious treasure hunter who throws himself headfirst into danger. He is played through voice and motion capture by Nolan North, who influenced Drake’s personality by ad-libbing segments of the character’s dialogue. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Nathan Drake.
1. Naughty Dog based Drake’s appearance and personality on daredevil Johnny Knoxville, actor Harrison Ford, and the heroes of pulp magazines, novels and movies. To make him more relatable, they dressed him in jeans and a t-shirt, and gave him an everyman persona.
2. Designers focused on giving Drake realistic reactions to his environment, which means that he sometimes stumbles while running, he barely clears some objects while leaping and mostly recognizes the absurdity of the situations that he finds himself in.
3. The design and personality of Drake is often compared to Lara Croft and Indiana Jones, in that he dives into adventure without thinking about the consequences.
4. Drake claims to be afraid of clowns, ranking them 10 out of 10 on his scale of fear.
5. His physical appearance has changed drastically through the games. He was much skinnier in the first game and then bulked up significantly by the second and third games. In the third game, his eyes were changed from brown to blue and his height was changed from 5’11” to 6’2”.
6. He came 16th on the list of the Top 50 Favorite Game Characters in the 2011 edition of the Guinness World Records.
7. Nate shares his initials with Naughty Dog, who are the developers of the Uncharted series.
8. In Uncharted: Drake’s Trail, Nate’s email address is shown as firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. The first time he killed a man was when he was 15 years old and he inadvertently caused on of Katherine Marlow’s agents to fall from a rooftop.
10. If you look closely at Nate’s face during cutscenes in Uncharted 3, you can see healed cuts that Nate got in Uncharted 2.
11. He’s been shot twice, once in Uncharted 2 and once in Uncharted 3, by secondary antagonists.
12. On the back of his gun holder, you can see the letters NDI, which is the abbreviation for Naughty Dog Inc.
13. Drake’s desert outfit in Uncharted 3 resembles the clothes that Brendan Fraser wore in the 1999 movie, The Mummy.
14. It’s been confirmed by Naughty Dog that Drake has known several characters from the Uncharted series when living at the Sir Francis Home for Boys, although it’s never said who.
15. Drake has been compared by fans and developers to John McClane from the Die Hard movies, for their similar smart alec personalities, sarcastic humor and determination.
16. While Drake doesn’t appear in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, he and Sam are mentioned by Nadine during her conversations with Chloe about their own encounters and affiliations with the Drake brothers.
17. In the first chapter of the first Uncharted game, Drake is wearing an “Ottsel” wetsuit. Ottsel is actually a made up animal species that the character Daxter is in the Jak and Daxter series that Naughty Dog also developed.
18. The name of Victor Sullivan’s private Grumman G-21 Goose seaplane is “The Hog Wild,” which is the same name as a level from the first Crash Bandicoot, which is another Naughty Dog game.
19. In Uncharted 3’s 12th chapter, the pirate Ramses’ ship is called The Seaward, which is a reference to Arrested Development, as the character Gob has a boat with the same name.
20. In the first game, Drake is 31 years old. In Uncharted 2 and 3, he’s 33 and 35 years old as each game is separated by a two year time jump. In Uncharted 4, he’s 38 years old as the game is set 3 years after the events of Uncharted 3.
21. He wears a silver ring on a leather cord around his neck. The ring has an inscription that reads “Sic Parvis Magna” which translates to “Greatness From Small Beginnings.”
22. Drake stole his ring from a museum exhibit when he was very young, claiming it as his birthright as it once belonged to Sir Francis Drake.
23. Drake sometimes pretends to flirt with Sully or behave inappropriately towards him as a joke, but in reality, Sully is the father that Nathan never had.
24. To Drake, adventure isn’t about the money, but about the danger; meaning that he’s an adrenaline junkie.
25. Drake knows that Harry Flynn can’t be trusted, yet he has a habit of following him anyway.
26. He self aware and knows that he’s a thief, but likes to thing that he’s greater than that. Drake often refers to himself as an explorer, and that he’s done some good while traveling to different parts of the world.
27. Drake has the necessary resources to vanish overnight if he wanted, but he always seems to come back for an adventure.
28. In the first game, the developers wanted to show that Drake was a frail character. He wasn’t a master of hand to hand combat, and he throws his punches without style or any sort of skill.
29. Drake reacts to events in a human-like way, often commenting and complaining at the absurdity or difficulty of his situation. While traveling, players can often hear Drake make sarcastic quips and taunts.
30. While he’s self educated in history and various languages, Drake is very intelligent and tends to pick up new information very quickly.