Transformers: The Last Knight is a 2017 American science fiction action movie based on the Transformers toy line created by Hasbro. It’s the fifth and last installment of the live-action Transformers movie series, the second movie in the sequel duology and the sequel to 2014’s Age of Extinction. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Transformers: The Last Knight.
1. The movie is directed by Michael Bay, and features Mark Wahlberg returning from Age of Extinction, with Josh Duhamel, John Turturro, and Glenn Morshower reprising their roles from the first three movies, as well as Laura Haddock and Anthony Hopkins both joining the cast.
2. At the 38th Golden Raspberry Awards, it was nominated for 10 awards, including Worst Picture, Worst Director and Worst Actor for Mark Wahlberg, but it didn’t win any.
3. Transformers: The Last Knight grossed $605 million worldwide over a budget of $217 million, making it the lowest grossing movie of the franchise.
4. The scenes of Sir Edmund Burton visiting 10 Downing Street were filmed at the actual office of the British Prime Minster in October, 2016.
5. With a budget of $217 million, Transformers: The Last Knight is the most expensive Transformers move at the time of release.
6. Mark Wahlberg announced that Transformers: The Last Knight will be his last Transformers movie as Cade Yeager. He had signed a contract for three movies, with the knowledge that he could be relieved earlier.
7. Writer Matt Holloway is a fan of the drama Downtown Abbey and jokingly said that Jim Carter, who plays the butler Mr. Carson in the show, should voice Cogman. He was shocked when Michael Bay got Carter signed on as Cogman.
8. Tyrese Gibson was set to return as Robert Epps, but he was unable to appear in the movie due to scheduling conflicts with The Fate of the Furious.
9. Michael Bay is a noted dog lover, and he cast Freya, a British dog with epilepsy that many homes had rejected, in the movie.
10. Steve Buscemi voiced Daytrader in the movie. Michael Bay had wanted Steve Buscemi to play Agent Simmons in the 2007 Transformers movie, but he was unavailable.
11. Hot Rod is the second Lamborghini Transformer to appear after Lockdown in Transformers: Age of Extinction. Generally, each Transformer in these movies has a unique vehicle mode.
12. Michael Bay said that Transformer: The Last Knight will be the last Transformers movie he will direct, for the moment. He is open to doing more movies in the future, if he gets a good story.
13. Shia LaBeouf and Nicola Pelts appeared in the movie, although it was only their portraits.
14. The movie was released a decade after the first Transformers live-action movie.
15. A physical prop of Sqweeks was built at Isabela Moner’s request.
16. Michael Bay originally wanted to pass on direction Transformers: The Last Knight, but was persuaded to do one more by Peter Cullen.
17. The filmmakers admitted that there were production difficulties with the movie, which resulted in a lot of material planned and filmed, but which never made it to the movie.
18. Transformers: The Last Knight is the second Hollywood movie to be shot in Cuba after The Fate of the Furious.
19. Hot Rod has a French accent in the movie. His voice actor, Omar Sy, is actually French, and is exaggerating his native Parisian accent.
20. Parts of the movie were shot at Stonehenge. Michael Bay requested to shoot an explosion on the location, but was denied, so he had a set of Stonehenge constructed to shoot the explosion.
21. Many of the scenes were filmed in the north east of England, with several streets in Newcastle Upon Tyne brought to a standstill, while scenes were completed.
22. The movie features the myth of King Arthur. Michael Bay was previously going to direct the 2004 King Arthur movie, and had worked on that movie for five years, before leaving it, due to budget issues.
23. Optimus Primal, Optimus Prime’s successor in Beast Wars: Transformers, was going to appear int he movie as a Knight of Cybertron with a gorilla design.
24. Transformers: The Last Knight was the first movie to be filmed almost entirely with IMAX 3D cameras with two ARRI Alexa IMAX cameras mounted onto a 3D rig with an astounding 98% of IMAX footage in the movie.
25. A portion of the Loop 303 freeway in Arizona was shut down for five days in mid June, 2016, for filming.
26. The Knights of Cybertron have their ship hidden in a mountain range in England. The Autobots had their base in a similar location in the 1984 cartoon The Transformers, although that was in America.
27. The original cut of the movie was supposedly much longer and roughly a whole hour’s worth of footage was cut for theatrical release.
28. Ken Nolan wrote the role of Sir Edmund specifically for Sir Anthony Hopkins.
29. The Decepticon Nitro Zeus was named after the code name for a shelved American offensive plan.
30. Laura Haddock sent her video audition to Michael Bay in the United States and he was so impressed that he traveled to London to meet with her to discuss the role. She later received a call from him with an offer for the part.